Suspect in Scranton Gunfire Incidents Arrested

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SCRANTON, Pa. -- Scranton police have arrested a suspect for firing gunshots in the city two weekends in a row.

Scranton police arrested Rajuhn Lavan, 45, in connection with both incidents that happened outside of Rocky's Lounge in downtown Scranton the past two weekends.

No one was injured in the first incident, however, Lavan, the suspect, was hit in the second shooting this past Saturday night.

The first incident happened Saturday, October 6, around 11:30 p.m. There were no reports of anyone being hit by gunfire, however, several shell casings were found.

Exactly one week later, and the scene looked almost identical. Just before 11 p.m. Saturday, Scranton police were back investigating another incident.

"When you hear something like that go down, it throws a shock into your head," said Scranton resident Gavin Lilly.

According to Scranton police, both incidents started at Rocky's Lounge and involved Rocky's employees, but both times, the gunfire happened outside of the bar -- the first, on Jefferson Avenue, and the second on Spruce Street.

Scranton police say the suspect, Rajuhn Lavan of Scranton, was shot and injured during the second incident this past Saturday. A woman drove him to the hospital, and he was later arrested for both incidents.

Some people who live and work downtown are surprised to hear of something like this happening outside Rocky's two weekends in a row.

"It's scary to think that I can't go to the movies down here with my niece and just have fun, see the sights, take a view of the Times tower. It scares me," Lilly added.

We spoke to many business owners in this area who say their businesses aren't interrupted by the incidents that happen at Rocky's because they are long closed for the day by the time Rocky's opens at night.

There are other bars in this area. Kildare's, right next door to Rocky's, was put on lockdown for a time this past Saturday night while Scranton police investigated.


Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.