A scenic show in the skies returns to northeastern Pennsylvania this weekend for the first time in 17 years
Our area's once annual air show is back at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport this Friday and Saturday. Show Gates open at 9:00 a.m.
Shuttle buses will be available to and from the air show. Shuttle buses will run continuously beginning at 8:30 a.m. each show day.
The plans to bring back the show were unveiled in March.
On Friday, Newswatch 16's Ryan Leckey got a look at some of the high-tech planes that are moving into position for this weekend's high flying comeback.
One helpful tip for attendees: download the new air show app on your smartphone to help you do everything from purchase tickets, learn more about parking, exhibitors, vendor information and more. Just search "NEPAirshow" in your app store on your mobile device.
Head here to learn similar facts at the air show's website.
To see the impact the Northeastern Pennsylvania Air Show is making on area businesses, click here!
ROAD CLOSURES/DELAYS TO EXPECT DUE TO AIR SHOW:
The turnpike (Route 476) will be closed between the Wyoming Valley and Clarks Summit interchanges at times because of the air show.
- Friday from 12:15 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Saturday from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
DETOURS IN PLACE:
The following detours will be in effect to safeguard drivers from aircraft that will be flying over the roadway during the air show performances.
- NORTHBOUND DETOUR - Exit the turnpike at the Wyoming Valley interchange onto Interstate 81 north.
- SOUTHBOUND DETOUR - Enter the turnpike at the Wyoming Valley interchange. Drivers traveling to the air show should take the Avoca exit of Interstate 81.