Ashland Doctor Facing Drug Charges

Posted on: 5:37 pm, January 2, 2014, by , updated on: 06:26pm, January 2, 2014

ASHLAND — A doctor in Schuylkill County is facing charges for allegedly prescribing large quantities of painkillers to people, and in one case, it turned deadly.

Stephanie Tarapchak is an Ashland doctor who lost her license to practice medicine in 2012.   That has led to her arrest by the state attorney general.

She’s accused of unlawfully prescribing pain killers like oxycodone that led to overdoses and one death. Prosecutors say she prescribed drugs without a physical exam, dispensed drugs to herself and her family, and even smuggled drugs into the Lackawanna County Prison.

Investigators say the 13 felony charges were centered in her Ashland office, where she also lived.

“Dr. Tarapchak, I hope you rot in hell for what you did to my brother!” said Barbara Kromer.

Investigators say an overdose prescribed by Dr. Tarapchak killed Barbara Kromer’s brother Tom in June 2011.

“Why would she give him something that would hurt or kill him, why would she do that?” Kromer asked.

“She’s a damn good doctor. I don’t think she did that! Honest, I don’t believe she could have done that!” said Doris Machuzah.

Machuzah is Dr. Tarapchak’s mother.  She doesn’t believe the allegations against her daughter.

“She writes a prescription and he walks out the door and Take them all and die, what was she supposed to do? Somebody please answer me that.”

“I cry every single day over my brother,” said Kromer.

Although the doctor’s office is in Ashland, Schuylkill County and the state attorney general’s office is involved, she’ll be prosecuted in Lackawanna County court.

• Lindsey says:

People are idiots. Doctors prescribe painkillers all the time. If you are an addict and go to the doctor for pain meds, take them all, overdose an die, how In the WORLD is it anybody else’s fault that that person is a drug addict? You all sound DUMB. No she may not be right for EVERYTHING she did but as I’ve seen said earlier, it is her job to write prescriptions. It is the patients job to take them AS PRESCRIBED. If you take too many drugs and die it’s THE PATIENTS FAULT not the doctors. That’s ridiculous and so are all of you morons that think otherwise. ;) have a good day

• Pat Rat says:

I miss my buddy Tom.

• Kevin says:

I know numerous people who had her for a doctor nd they were all prescribed mass amounts of different types of pain killers and Xanax .. In my mind she should be locked up. I’m a recovering heroin addict nd people like this is how I got started getting so many pills in the 1st place straight from this lady everyone’s trying to defend. Now the drug problem I’m Ashland girardville shendo has escalated to heroin there’s no stopping it now

• Ray Plowman says:

No loss? If you knew anything Charles you would know that Dr. Tarapchak has children who I’m sure love and care for their mother.

• Dave says:

Really because I am a father of 2 children and we have trusted greatly in Dr. Tarapchak. Not only has she been an amazing doctor, but she takes the time to get to know her patients issues. More than once my wife has called Dr. Stephanie to call in a perscription without an evaluation which she would not do. She always did a thorough examination taking the less extreme route when it came to medicine. I can say I have never been offered drugs by Dr. Steph and know no one that can say the same. If the allegations against her are true, either I am oblivious or she has been betrayed.

• Sofia says:

Really? Because I’m pretty sure people are defending her. Anyone who new her knows she is a wonderful person. She deserves none of this and the truth will soon come out. I am dr Stephanie’s former patient and I was never offered drugs by her, she’s helped me with anything. She is one of the best person I’ve talked to. Maybe she made a mistake. Maybe she prescribed something that someone over dosed on. That’s their problem not hers. I’m sure if he went to anyone else, that dr would do the same. For the people saying she should be raped, killed, or have cancer. I hope the same happens to you, or someone you love. Her family is full with amazing people. I’m sure you’re the one who has the drug problems Mary Anne welsh. So you people should be the ones dealing with your problems. I’m sure you’ve never met her because if you did you would never believe this.

• Jay says:

Tom was taking medication for a brain tumor. He kept complaining the medicine was not working. He kept going back to his doctor for help. He took a lethal overdose that she prescribed for him. Most people trust their doctors. Know all the facts before you judge.

• Nina Grant says:

Everyone here will meet their maker and the cancer rape and death comments will not be looked upon in a good light

• Joe Snediker says:

Not my kind of doctor.

• Mary Ann Welch says:

Stephanie Tarapchak and her whole family are no good. Major drug abuse.

• peanuts says:

THE PEOPLE ARE JUST AS BAD AS THE DOCTOR . THEY ARE ADDICTS . THATS WHY THEY KEPT GOING BACK TO HER. IF YOU ABUSE YOUR MEDICATION THEN IT IS YOUR PROBLEM. IN TODAYS WORLD OVERDOSING HAS BECOME A BIG PROBLEM . WHY BECAUSE PEOPLE TODAY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH STRESS. IF THEY DON’T GET IT FROM A DR. THEY ARE RUNNING TO THE ER’S. IN THIS CASE I THINK ALOT OF MARRIAGES AND RELATIONS WERE RUINED AND IT IS A CASE OF REVENGE. WISH THEY WOULD TOTALY CLEAN UP THE DRUGS IN SCHUYLKILL COUNTY.

• Donna says:

The Dr’s mom is no good just like her daughter. Two real losers.

• Cynthia Fowler MD says:

I, as a practicing medical doctor in the Atlanta area, can assure you that Dr. Stephanie is not to blame. Doctors every day are faced with addicts that can pass as the most put together of people. It’s time to stop blaming the hard working doctors and have addicts face the music and get help.

• Ragin Caujian says:

Did anyone get a look at Barb in the video? That should be enough to prove Doctor Tarapchak isn’t in the wrong.

• Megan says:

What does what Barbara looks like having anything to do with all the illegal things the doctor was arrested for? They didn’t arrest her because of anything Barbara said. She is accused of many different things, none of which involve that woman. You are just an ignorant human being.

• Carrie Perez says:

The doc^s mom is mad because she can’t get her drugs off her daughter anymore.

• Ella says:

What I don’t understand is that people who are claiming Dr.Tarapchak gave them prescription drugs are the same people who accepted them. I highly doubt any of you turned down her offer for drugs, which also makes you in the wrong. If you didn’t need them then why would you ever accept them? Those who are doing this need to reevaluate their lives and realize that they are no angles either

• George Moss says:

Dr Tarapchack gave me Oxy for a broken thumb. What A sweety!

• mandy says:

I so agree with ur last comment Greg. Although I do feel that all patients receiving narcotics should have random pill counts n drug tests as well.

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

someone is posting under Greg and I’s names. immature.

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

so someone decided it would be funny to post under my name? This is impersonation. I fully support dr tarapchak and will never change my opinion

• Greg says:

I’m glad she was arrested! She tried to sell me oxy at my visits.

• Carl says:

really officer? what’s my last name?

• Bill Killian says:

The doctor was a quack. She gets what she deserves. My doc won’t give me anything stronger than Tylenol for pain. She is a real nut job.

• Maggie says:

Yet you kept going back to her?

• Greg says:

Jill is just another one of her scumbag patients who obviously threw her under the bus.

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

absolutely disgusting of you to say. god will judge you too. I think you might need some scripts to calm you down.

• Greg says:

No one listen to Jill. Anyone who wishes rape on someone is a sick individual.

• Jarret says:

A doctor is responsible for their patients health. Therefore in order to insure that their patient is safely using the drugs as prescribed they are required by law to schedule an appointment for at least a 6 month check up ( depending on the drug). If the patient doesn’t make it in for the appointment, they are not legally permitted to write a prescription. If the doctor writes a prescription and ignoring the law, they are held liable. Hopefully for all of her supporters, she will have documentations that will support her conduct. My question however is why is she being charged with “smuggling” drugs into a jail? What well respected Doctor would do that? Another question is why are there allegations stating that she supplied drugs to herself and family? There has to be valid cause for these charges. “Blame the drug addict”? Only a moron would say such a thing. Drug addicts are addicts because dealers are good at what they do. Addicts are victims and the way I see this case, This doctor is the worst type of drug dealer. A doctor who used her license to create addicts out of her patients so she could make more money. Its disgusting that some people are too ignorant to see the irony in this case. She will have her trial, and the truth will he revealed. Something tells me that even with evidence, the ignorant will still deny. My heart goes out to his family because not only do they not have thier lived one, they have to face those who have no compassion for the loss of a human life due to negligence.

• Reno says:

goodbye facebook fights, hello wnep news article comment fights

• Thomas Walsh says:

What a disgusting person you are.

• Greg says:

I’m sure you were blowing stuff up your nose when you wrote that Lisa is move and get out the way

• Megan says:

When she is giving people prescriptions to fill to bring back to her that is not a doctor doing their job. When she hands out pills without a prescription she is not doing her job. When she prescribes people insane combinations of pain killers, knowing they have an addiction problem, they have built a tolerance, and take more to try to help get rid of the pain, which led to an accidental overdose, she is not doing her job. Yes she should be held accountable for continuing to hand out the prescriptions. It was brought to her attention that Tom had a problem, but she continued to enable him. This case doesn’t come because she wrote prescriptions for one person. There were multiple people she used to abuse her privileges as a doctor. As a doctor she is supposed to due no harm as well as not illegally write prescriptions. When multiple family members express their concern to her, she should have done something, like stop writing the prescriptions, but she chose not to. She wrote prescriptions without even examining people. People with chronic pain don’t intend to become addicted to the medicines that are supposed to help them. I don’t know how you can say there should be no blame placed on her. She handed out pills like Skittles and because of that someone died. The investigation into her has been going on for years now, so this isn’t going off a whim or the effects it had on one person and their family. Whether or not she made him take them, she still wrote prescription after prescription, even after she was made aware of his problem. This is a sad case all around, but in the end someone is dead. Greg and Sarah his family did try to get her to stop write the prescriptions, so no they wouldn’t have been bitching. He wasn’t suicidal or unintelligent. You say about Barbara being a class act, but the way you talk about people you don’t even know, especially a dead man shows what kind of act you are. It’s sad that people show zero respect for anyone anymore. In the end a jury and God are the only ones whose opinions will matter.

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

what kind of sick piece of crap are you

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

really Wendy? enlighten us on why you say this, please. I would love to hear your intelligent opinion

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

prove it.

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

ru4real… are you for real? do you think that every doctor should be monitoring every instance in which a person takes a pill that is prescribed specifically for them? she didn’t shove the pills down his throat. it was his fault that he died because he was irresponsibly taking more pills than he was prescribed. such stupidity

• ru4real17921 says:

I suppose you don’t think it is irresponsible medicine for a doctor to prescribe Percocet, Xanax and Methadone to the same patient at the same time, either.

• Jarret says:

People can “think” anything they want, however it is a LAW. Doctors will be liable if they break the LAW. All doctors understand this law, but apparently, some are too interested in the profit to care about the consequences. To think that law enforcers can arrest a person on these charges simply because they have suspicion of illegal practices is juvenile. How old are you? 12? Charges are processed through extensive investigations and there is no doubt in my mind that the law, following THIS law, has enough evidence to convict her.

• Thomas Walsh says:

completely agree with you, Rhonda. Definitely sketchy. She doesn’t deserve any of this.

• Greg says:

It’s also not Dr. Tarapchaks fault that the area she practiced in is an area that has a high number of addicts.

• ru4real17921 says:

1. She could have practiced elsewhere; 2. She could have refused patients she identified as addicts, rather than help them continue their addictions; 3. She could have remembered her oath to ‘do no harm’ and actually treated patients for their addictions rather than continuing them. But, as one of her staunch supporters, I’m sure you will argue that, too. I saw the results of her ‘medical practice’ in the hospital ER often.

• speaktome says:

While it is true that a doctor prescribes meds and you are out the door with the script or pills in hand. You have instructions on HOW TO Take them as prescribed…but with a known addict a doc should find other ways to treat their said “pain” rather than handing them what they will use for their “fix”. Docs are to “do no harm”. The article states supplying to family members, and self, prescribing without an exam, and smuggling them into a prison. With that being said, apparently there is evidence of wrong doing on the docs part, and as a result someone has died, and others have blown the whistle. This isn’t the first doc in recent that got in trouble for doing this, remember Berks Psychiatry in Pottsville? Dr was handing out drugs without evaluations, and he got caught.

I believe an addict can fool a doc to some degree, but docs know when they are being fooled. If a person takes their pain killers as prescribed they are not going to be coming back in to see the doc in a week…or even the next day.. addicts do that kind of stuff.

• Rhonda says:

It can’t have anything to do with a Federal lawsuit she has against Schuylkill County for all kinds of violations to her constitutional rights, could it? For sure it can’t have anything to do with the other lawsuit in state court against the Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs and the Board of Osteopathic Medicine for fraudulently pulling her license and prosecutorial misconduct? Nahhh, couldn’t have anything to do with either of them. Couldn’t have anything to do with the fact that she was front and center in exposing Lackawanna County
    Family Court as corrupt to the core, either?

• Sarah Paulus Hummel says:

wow, john! you mean a doctor was prescribing someone pills?! unbelievable.

• John says:

I was there when Dr. Tarapchak would give Thomas a hand full of pain pills.

• Thomas Walsh says:

Why would she be prosecuted in Lackawanna County, where her ex husband, Alex, has prominent political pull? why not in Schuylkill County, where she practiced?

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

you’re a real class act, Barb

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

I’m sorry but doesn’t every prescription pill have the potential to hurt or kill someone if abused? this is not the doctors fault, people overdose on pills all the time and it is not the responsibility of the doctor to prevent someone who is suicidal or unintelligent to overdose. she was just doing her job

• Greg says:

Thanks for your support Sarah, it’s so sad that hard working physicians are ruined this way. It’s about time people stop blaming the doctor and start blaming the addict. Pardon my french but I’m sure that his family would be the first one bitching if she denied him medicine.

• Sara Paulus Hummel says:

right on, Greg! Barbara is just mad that everyone knows her brother was a drug addict.

• Greg says:

ru4real most addicts are amazing at making themselves seem alright just to get high. Don’t talk about something you don’t know about. As someone who works with addicts I too have fallen victim to addicts who did an exceptional job at hiding their problem.

• Greg says:

I highly doubt that a medical doctor would not examine a patient before prescribing them drugs. It’s so sad we have to lose another good doctor because of a family who just can’ t admit their relative overdosed.