Race for the Cure Sets Record-Breaking Goal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SCRANTON, Pa. -- Northeastern Pennsylvania's Race for the Cure in Scranton is a day like no other. Downtown completely transforms pink, every storefront on Courthouse Square glows with support for survivors, and more than 4,000 people walk and run to find a cure for breast cancer.

"Well, I've got four sisters. We're all survivors," said Cathy Powell.

Powell is a 38-year survivor and actually a double survivor, beating cancer twice. She feels good now, walking again this year like she has every year for the last two decades.

"Everything's great," Powell said. She says meeting new people, and especially other survivors, is her favorite part of the race.

Devin Smith of Carbondale beat his own personal record and took first place for the men. Caitlin Gaughan of Dalton won for the women.

"I'm actually wearing a ribbon for my childhood best friend who passed away from cancer. This type of race, it's more than just winning it. It's about honoring those who are fighting the battle, who aren't with us here today, or those who have survived," Gaughan said.

This year's race winners say seeing the sea of pink gives them the energy to keep going.

"It gives me hope. Cancer is one of those things that happens. There's not much you can do about it other than support the cause as much as you can," Smith said.

The goal this year is to raise $200,000. That's the highest goal they've ever had. If you couldn't walk or run in the race, it's not too late to donate, you have until October 1.

"Everyone's decked out in their pink, but the important thing is that it's more than pink, and that's our slogan these days," said Race for the Cure Chair Nikki Olszyk.

This is the 28th annual Race for the Cure in Scranton, and organizers say they have such a big goal because they have so much support from the community, and the money raised goes right back to the community.

75 percent of what is raised stays here and helps fund local programs offering breast cancer health education and breast cancer screening and treatment. The remaining 25 percent goes toward Susan G. Komen research and training grant programs.

"It's about doing more and being more, and that's part of making donations and promoting the race for the cure and supporting it as much as we can, so we can truly make an impact in our community and in research," Olszyk said.

WNEP is a proud sponsor of the race and proud to help find a cure. Newswatch 16's Jon Meyer and Mindi Ramsey hosted the event, and as always, there were some other familiar faces in the crowd including John Hickey, Carmella Mataloni, Jessica Albert, Chase Senior, Sharla McBride, and Scott Schaffer.


  • Rusty Knyffe

    Be wary of ANY fundraising organization, including those with big names and long-standing presence.

    Contemplate the cost of all of the paraphernalia associated with this one, single event. T-shirts, mugs, balloons, headbands, placards, tents, chairs, permits, etc…………Just contemplate it before getting all wormy about the “cause.” It seems to me that the “cause” has nothing to do with curing cancer, but everything to do with collecting and spending.

  • b (@watawga)

    CEO pays herself $684,000. Many other “employees” make big bucks too. Do a little research on the scam. What small amount of money is left often goes to “awareness”, pamphlets, shirts, pens, etc. A very little bit actually goes to “research”.

    • Barbara Yanchek

      25% goes to the National for grants. I was told that the National gives to Planned Parenthood, the group that does not even do mammograms but performs 320,000 abortions per year.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.