Improper Air Conditioner Use Led to Child’s Death in Scranton: Coroner

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SCRANTON, Pa. -- The death of a baby in Scranton has been ruled an accident.

The Lackawanna County coroner says 1-year-old Nicole Heaton died from hyperthermia and dehydration. She was taken to the hospital Sunday morning along with an 8-month-old baby.

Police found those children in a home on Rundle Street near the Taylor borough line around 9 a.m. Sunday.

The coroner says the family was improperly using a standing air conditioner unit, and it caused the air in the bedroom to become extremely hot.

The 8 month old remains hospitalized.

Police are investigating the death.

7 comments

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.