Check River, Stream Levels Near You

Double Block Home in Shamokin Damaged by Fire

SHAMOKIN -- A fire sparked at a residence in Northumberland County Saturday afternoon.

Fire officials tell Newswatch 16 the fire, which started around 4:30 p.m., caused significant damage to the double block's interior.

Residents of the home along West Chesnut Street in Shamokin were not there at the time.

According to the fire chief, the other side of the double block sustained smoke damage.

The blazeĀ is not considered to be suspicious but the investigation is ongoing.

2 comments

    • NEPA

      Most of the older houses were built very well as far as the structure itself goes. A lot of the issue comes from the old electrical wiring in houses that age. The insulation on the wires dry rots and falls off, as well as too much amperage being pulled off one circuit, which is common in winter with space heaters and summer with window ac units. Unfortunately it would cost thousands to properly upgrade the electric in an older structure to code, so many overlook it or take dangerous shortcuts.

Comments are closed.