Hazleton Man Dies from Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HAZLETON -- A man is dead and his family was hospitalized. Police say it's a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police say Carlos Minaya Castillo pulled his car into his garage and did not shut the engine off when he returned to his home on Alter Street in Hazleton. The husband and father then went inside his home and left the door to the house open.

Two hours later, his wife found Castillo lying face down and not moving. She called police, but they could not revive him. Minutes later, a deputy coroner pronounced Castillo dead. The likely cause: carbon monoxide poisoning.

"(Carbon monoxide) travels to wherever that opening is going to be, so if the windows are closed and the garage is closed and the door is open to go into the bathroom and into the home, the (carbon monoxide) travels in and then up and the gases start filling the home," Hazleton Police Chief Jerry Speziale said. "It definitely appears to be an accident. It's an unfortunate situation and our thoughts and prayers are with the family."

For neighbor Mike Turner, who lives across the street, he woke up around 4 a.m. in a frantic state because he heard screaming from the house as the wife was crying for help.

"I woke up and seen the woman across the street yelling and screaming," Turner said. "She needed help and she was speaking in Spanish that she thinks he's dead. Just come out of bed and you're like, 'what's going on?' Didn't know if it was a shooting or what. It's your neighbors and you feel like you need to try and help and something like this happens, you don't know what to do."

Police say the situation might have been worse if Castillo's wife did not wake up. She and the couple's 11-year-old son were sent to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest near Allentown as they had high levels of carbon monoxide.

The four responding police officers were also treated and released from a local hospital.

Chief Speziale expects his officers and the family members to recover quickly.


    • Long Grey socks

      Frackville a pretty good place for sock models that wear stained Penn state starter jackets, with sometimes navy blue joggers. Velcro shoes hold up well beating feet roaming in back alleys.

  • Say what?!

    Maybe if she could have screamed for help in “ENGLISH,” her hubby and a father, would still be alive. Moral of the story…. while being a U.S. citizen, the English language is a good thing to learn.

    • 911 listener

      it would have absolutely helped. she dialed 911 could not speak English, was very excited and was not cooperative with translators. took many minutes to find their location. when we did just police was sent, did not know an EMS emergency was there. He could’ve been saved had the proper info been gathered quickly. significant delay with the fact she no speaka the english

    • JP

      Don’t come to this country without learning the language. Our grandparents did and was proud to do it.
      Other countries don’t do it for us ,why do we have to do for idiots. Build the wall.

      • Rurbanite

        NOT TRUE about our grandparents. Unless they were Irish or Welsh, most first generation immigrants spoke little English or spoke it with a heavy, heavy accent. I remember many such people growing up here in the 1960s. It’s typically the second generation, born here, who are truly bilingual. In fact I remember an almost identical case in Wilkes-Barre years ago where a Hungarian woman lost her husband and couldn’t,5 communicate with the police or doctors. She lived in my neighborhood. Please have some compassion and don’t romanticize things.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.