Deep Fryer Causes Fire at Grocery Store in Wilkes-Barre

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WILKES-BARRE — Investigators say an electrical problem with a deep fryer is to blame for a small fire Monday at Schiel’s Family Market in Wilkes-Barre.

The fire department was called to the grocery store along Hanover Street around 10 a.m.

According to authorities, the fire was out by the time they arrived.

The fire chief said the deli section of the supermarket is closed until an inspection by the Department of Health is complete.

The rest of the business remains open after Monday’s fire in Wilkes-Barre.