Family Loses Home, Pets in Archbald Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ARCHBALD —┬áMichael Kania and Kateland Johnson lost their home and some of their pets Easter Sunday in Lackawanna County.

According to officials, the fire broke out on the 100 block of Cemetery Street in Archbald around 2:00 p.m.

The home was engulfed in flames that initiated on the rear porch.

The family was able to get out safely, and a dog was rescued. Two cats died in the fire and the home is unlivable.

A fire marshal ruled the fire accidental, saying it was caused by a discarded cigarette butt.