Check River, Stream Levels Near You

Fire Damages Luzerne County Restaurant

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CONYNGHAM TOWNSHIP -- One of the most popular places to eat in one Luzerne County community closed Tuesday after a fire destroyed its kitchen overnight.

It was below freezing when flames somehow sparked and then spread throughout part of the Main Street Bar and Grill around 10 p.m. Monday.

"When we arrived, we found that the kitchen was fully engulfed," said Mocanaqua Assistant Fire Chief George Mitchell.

"I heard a noise. I woke up and there was firemen everywhere," recalled Kurt Cole.

Neighbors say the restaurant was one of the most popular places to eat in Mocanaqua.

"It's kind of sad. I don't like it. When I come here to eat, I'm friends with those people, you know? " said Elfriede Cole.

Everything inside the kitchen is now ruined.

"It's the season! Wintertime is usually the roughest, and it's when we see the most fires," said Mocanaqua Assistant Fire Chief David Wojciechowicz.

A state police fire marshal says the cause of the fire was accidental, due to electrical problems. Officials are also not sure if the owners plan to rebuild, but many people hope they do.

"It's a shame," said Kurt Cole. "They'll come back, though. They're good people, Brian and Missy. They'll be stronger than they were."

One person lived in the apartment above the restaurant. That person is now staying with friends.