Business Gutted by Flames in Poconos

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STROUD TOWNSHIP -- Flames gutted a family-owned business in Monroe County.

Flames shot from the roof of Whitmore's Garage on Truss Road near Stroudsburg around 8 p.m. Monday.

Several vehicles behind the garage also burned.

According to the fire chief, the business has been around for more than 40 years and serviced many of the area's large trucks. It had even serviced some of the firetrucks that responded to the fight the fire.

Explosions were also heard from inside the garage.

"We had a couple of explosions of some propane tanks in the rear. Like I said, there is a lot of petroleum products, probably some acetylene tanks, oxygen for welding and cutting torches, probably all were burning off," said Stroud Township Fire Chief William Unruh.

The fire chief said the freezing temperatures made fighting the flames difficult and dangerous for firefighters.

A state police fire marshall has been called in to look for a cause.


Comments are closed.