THROOP -- Emergency crews flooded Sanderson Street in Throop after a UGI crew working on a gas main at the intersection of Haverly Street struck it, causing it to leak. Electricity and gas were immediately shut off in as firefighters went door to door telling people they had to leave their homes.
"Right before, three a fireman knocked on the door to see if they could get some readings inside my house. When I walked from the back of the house to let them in, I could smell big time," Linda Edlund of Throop said.
"A firefighter said to me they working on a plan to put us in temporary housing, they don't know what's going to happen so," added Bradley Cox.
According to UGI, 99 homes and businesses lost power. Crews were able to locate and contain that leak in a little more than an hour, but it took a couple more hours until electric and gas could be restored to the area.
People gathered inside the Throop Civic Center, but since it had no power as well, other places were being looked at.
"At this time, there's other options being looked at right now due to the fact that we do not have heat. So there are definitely other avenues that are being reached out to right now," Mary Ruth Tanner told Newswatch 16.
That wasn't necessary as power began coming on around 6 o'clock, with the Civic Center being one of the first to be restored. Red Cross volunteers brought out supplies and provisions for anyone who still had to wait to return home.
However, many said early in the day they would find somewhere else to go.
"There's a little bit of odor in there, but I'm not going to go in and stay there. As soon as I opened it could smell it," Stacie Sarnoski said.
Borough officials also made arrangements with the Mid-Valley School District if the power hadn't been turned on by nightfall.