Watch: Heart-Stopping Video Captures Toddler Rescuing Twin From Fallen Dresser

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OREM, Utah — Two-year-old Brock Shoff owes his twin brother Bowdy big time. The boys were playing at their home in Orem, Utah, Friday morning when a dresser fell on Brock.

A home surveillance video shows Bowdy trying for almost two minutes to free his brother from under the furniture — eventually succeeding. The boys’ parents posted the video to social media to highlight the importance of securing furniture to make homes childproof, they said.

“We were hesitant to post this video initially,” Ricky Shoff, the boys’ father told CNN, “but a lot of parents have probably made the same mistake that we made, (they) don’t have their furniture secure of bolted to a wall.”

“Our house is very childproof, we are really cautious about all this stuff — so it never really crossed out minds that something like this could happen,” Shoff said.

The accident happened around 8:30 a.m. on Friday, the Shoffs told CNN. “We didn’t hear anything, we normally hear them throwing their toys, they are super mischievous,” Shoff said.

It wasn’t until the boys’ mother Kayli woke up a short time later and checked a surveillance camera in the boys’ room from she saw the dresser was on the floor.

She went to check on the boys and “there wasn’t a scratch” on either of them, her husband told CNN, “It’s kind of a miracle, it’s something really special, to see how Bowdy helped Brock.”


  • magicmikexxsm

    Okay I watched this on ABC World News, they interviewed the mother, she said “They didn’t follow the direction” (The Directions said to anchor it to the wall) She said this on national Tv news…….So the manufacture takes the time to print warnings and instructions to mount it to the wall so it doesn’t tip over, and these parents just buy it put it in the room and ignore the instructions…….But yet everyone is making out the manufacturer to be the bad guy…….
    Oh and mom how about you get up and out of bed before your kids get up in the morning…..

    I said in an earlier post it seems we didn’t have these problems in the 60’s when I was a kid, and my mom watched us.
    why? seems back then people had more common sense…

  • Carol Greenstone

    If you have a stove with an oven attached under it this can happen if a child opens the oven and stands on the door. Most people don’t think to anchor their stove to the wall but children have died after being crushed by a falling stove. It doesn’t matter how quickly you respond to the sound of crashing sometimes the child still dies.

  • Concerned Citizen

    wow does this video make me cringe! God was watching over that little boy for sure! This has got to be the biggest eye opener for parents, of kids, at any age!

    • Carol Greenstone

      we did have these problems in the sixties, there are many grave sites where children who were killed by fallen furniture are buried, their parents lobbied to get awareness of bolting furniture to the wall out to the public. Most furniture was heavier then so instead of the twin getting him free the child would have ended up dead.

  • Liliana

    I guess they didn’t read all the manufacturer warnings or see any of the news articles this past year about securing your furniture and TV’s to avoid tipping incidents with children…this family is lucky it ended well. Maybe the parents should start getting up a little earlier to help their spawn expend energy in more positive ways.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.