Check River, Stream Levels Near You

Family Loses Everything in Fire on Christmas

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHAMOKIN -- While a family of three from Shamokin was enjoying their Christmas holiday somewhere else, their home on East Chestnut Street began to burn.

Firefighters say the smoke and flames destroyed everything inside, leaving the family with nothing.

"Being Christmas day, it's really sad. Being a father I can totally understand. I mean, losing everything right on Christmas..." said Ronald Lash of Shamokin.

Shamokin officials say a mother, her daughter, and one-month-old grandson lived at the home. The family did not have renter's insurance and lost everything.

"That's pitiful, them poor people. To lose everything. It didn't seem like it was the worst fire in the world, but it was enough to do the right damage." commented Barbara Tentromono of Shamokin.

According to Shamokin police, the city's code enforcement officer and another police officer arrived on scene first and started putting out the fire with fire extinguishers."

"The fire company responded pretty quick and they had it out pretty quick," said Lash.

With the houses in the neighborhood so close together, the neighbors worried about the fire.

Tentromono was not home at the time, but was concerned when she found out where the fire was located.

"I didn't know whose house it was and I knew I lived on this street in this block. And I panicked," stated Tentromono.

Shamokin police do not know what started the fire but say at this point it's not suspicious.

If you'd like to donate to the Family after that fire, click here.


Comments are closed.