Jim Thorpe House Fire Ruled Accidental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

JIM THORPE - Flames ripped through the first and second stories of a home on South Avenue in Jim Thorpe.

It took six different fire companies in Carbon County to put the flames out.

Cathy Hiller and her son George live in the home.

They both got out of the fire, but George is still in the hospital.

His family says he was burned pretty bad.

Fire crews say he jumped out of the second story onto the neighbors porch.

"That's not going to be salvageable. They'll tear this house down," said Jim Thorpe Fire Chief Bill Diehm.

The heat from the fire was so intense it melted siding on both neighboring houses.

"The buildings are still standing, so that's a plus," said the chief.

Hiller family friends say Cathy and George do have insurance, but next door where the siding was damaged, the woman who lives here said she canceled it.

"I don't know what I'm going to do," said Sylvia Redline.

Redline wasn't home at the time of the fire.

She says she hasn't lived in the home in a few years but does own it with her daughter.

Redline's family was trying to sell the place.

Now, she doesn't know how she'll find the money to fix the siding.

"Oh my. It did a lot of damage."

If you'd like to help donate to the Hiller Family you can drop off donations at the Jim Thorpe Sportsmen's Club at: 1 Lentz Trail Jim Thorpe, PA

or mail to Jim Thorpe Sportsmen's Club P.O. Box 342, Jim Thorpe, PA18229.

George's shirt size is XL, jeans 36-34 and boxers size large.

Cathy is a large in shirts, a 12 in pants, size 9 in shoes.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.