10 Chicken Wing Stats That Might Surprise You
WASHINGTON, D.C. — According to the National Chicken Council’s 2015 Wing Report, 1.25 billion wings will be eaten during Super Bowl XLIX.
1. If 1.25 billion wing segments were laid end to end, they would stretch back and forth from CenturyLink Field in Seattle to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts… almost 28 times.
2. 1.25 billion wings would circle the Grand Canyon 120 times.
3. 1.25 billion wings is enough wings to put 572 of them on every seat in all 32 NFL stadiums, according to the Council.
4. In terms of weight, 1.25 billion wings would weigh 5,955 times more than the weights of the Seahawks and Patriots entire 52-man rosters combined.
5. 8 out of 10 US adults eat chicken wings.
7. According to January 2015 Harris Poll, Ranch is once again the #1 side or sauce typically eaten with wings, up from 51 percent last year but shy of the record of 57 percent two years ago. Only about one-third (36 percent) like to eat their wings with blue cheese dressing. This is up from 32 percent last year. Barbecue sauce even topped blue cheese, coming in at 42 percent.
8. Northeastern wing eaters are significantly more likely to prefer blue cheese dressing (49 percent) than those in the Midwest (36 percent), South (30 percent) and West (30 percent), while those regions are more likely to prefer ranch dressing.
9. Also, according the Harris Poll, wing eaters prefer celery (35 percent) to carrots (20 percent) as their wing “side” of choice.
10. Finally, when it comes to the wing type itself, which do most people prefer? Drumettes top the list by far (46 percent) while 25 percent of wing eaters prefer “flat”. Not far behind, 19 percent of wing eaters just don’t have a favorite.