Travel Back on Track for NYC Commuters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DELAWARE WATER GAP -- The storm impacted many people in the Poconos who commute in and out of New York City every day for work. Travel bans kept buses from running to the city, leaving people stranded while the snow began to fall.

Those buses were back up and running by 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

The city that never sleeps shut down around 11 p.m. Monday because of the snow, but the storm didn't quite deliver as promised.

Many commuters were back on the bus around 8:30 a.m., trying to get in and out of the Big Apple.

It's back to business in the Poconos.  New York City's travel ban was lifted, and the Martz buses began filling up with commuters in Delaware Water Gap.

"When they called me at 9:45 it's like, 'oh, everything is open, come on in.'  I said, 'OK, not a problem,'" said Justina Moses of East Stroudsburg.

Moses works at Bloomingdale's in Manhattan and says she's happy to catch a late bus in. She's able to earn a paycheck since the blizzard of 2015 didn't quite rock NYC as expected.

"I kind of freelance so I have to go in because if I work I get paid, if I don't go in, I don't get paid, you know, and I need the money," said Moses.

Justin O'Toole of Stroudsburg is headed back to work on Broadway as a stagehand. The show goes on.

"No big deal, sleep in, see the kids for a little bit in the morning, do the routine and off to work," said O'Toole.

The majority of commuters got stuck overnight in New York City and because of that, Martz Trailways sent empty buses into the Big Apple to help bring them all back.

Patrick Omeara of Stroudsburg got stuck at work. He's a chef in Brooklyn.

"Last night was just ridiculous. They were calling for 20 to 30 inches of snow and they barely got three to four inches out there," said Omeara.

He was able to catch one of the first buses out of the city today and finally is on his way home, but says seeing the city that never sleeps come to a complete halt is something he'll never forget.

"They even shut down the subway systems and everything so after 11 p.m. nobody could even travel anywhere. It was weird it was like a lockdown," said Omeara.

Because of the travel ban that stretched into the morning hours, Martz Trailways was only able to run about 33 percent of its buses out of the Poconos Tuesday, but beginning Wednesday, Martz says it's back to business as usual.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.