One Dead, Three Injured in Taylor Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TAYLOR -- Robert Graham, 42, has been identified as the victim of a deadly fire in Taylor Sunday morning.

The coroner said he died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The first alarm on South Pond Street in Taylor came in just before 4 a.m. Sunday, and crews on scene quickly called for backup.

Firefighters had to deal with flames on the second floor and in the attic, while also fearing the fire would spread to surrounding homes.

According to authorities, a little girl and her parents escaped from the house and were taken to the hospital for injures including burns. There is no word on their conditions.

Neighbors said that the man who died was the brother of the borough fire chief, Dave Graham.

"What happened today was a tragedy. He was a good soul, warm-hearted, good guy, he is going to be missed," said Mike Ambrose.

Police believe the father and little girl got out through an upper floor window, and after the little girl made it to the sidewalk, her father was stranded on the roof until he was rescued.

"I saw a man still sitting on the roof, trying to get down, I tried grabbing a ladder to help him, but it was not high enough, then the fire trucks got here pretty fast, thank God we live a block away from the firehouse," Don Hefferman said.

Many people who live in this neighborhood have close ties to that firehouse and are now praying for the victims as they mourn the loss of a friend.

"Thank God the other three are OK. I just wish the fourth could have gotten out," said Ambrose.

Taylor police said the other victims are being treated at Lehigh Valley burn center. They are identified as Frank Jordan, Gabrielle Jordan, age 5, and Karen Birtel, sister of victim Robert Graham.