Church Damaged by Flames

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HAZLETON -- Members of a church in Hazleton might have to find a new place to worship for the time being after a late night fire.

Firefighters said the House of Worship on East Broad Street went up in flames just before midnight on Thursday.  Crews said the fire started in a basement kitchen area.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control before it spread to other buildings by punching holes in the building to let the smoke out.  The Latino-Christian church still received some heavy smoke damage.

Authorities have not said what sparked this fire in Hazleton.