Residents of Personal Care Home Forced Out

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NANTICOKE — Over 60 residents of a personal care home in Nanticoke are staying elsewhere after a water pipe broke.

Firefighters and emergency responders were called to Nanticoke Villa in Nanticoke around 4:30 p.m. Sunday.

Officials said a water shut off valve on the third floor got sheared off, causing a leak that affected all three floors of the building.

The water also damaged the electrical and fire alarm systems.

The building was evacuated, and all 62 residents were taken to the cafeteria at Nanticoke Area High School.

“Trying to make arrangements either at other personal care facilities in the local region. We’ve also been reaching out to family members who might be able to come and pick up their relatives and take them home for a day or two until the facility’s reopened,” said Stephen Bekanich, Luzerne County EMA Director.

Emergency crews said it could take a couple days before repairs are made and the building is safe again for residents in.

School officials in Nanticoke said classes will dismiss at 11 a.m. Monday at the high school and educational center because the cafeteria is being used.