Amid Fire’s Losses, A Special Flag Survives

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
NANTICOKE -- Neighbors said even though first responders were on the scene in moments, the fire on Coal Street in Nanticoke was just too strong.
The Stortz family's double home was quickly engulfed.
Investigators said the fire was an accident, and started in the rear of the house near the furnace.
While Shirl Stortz is relieved she and her son Pat escaped, their two dogs, named Sandy and Conrad did not survive.
Richard Kasisky is heartbroken at his next door neighbor's loss.
"They were out here just a little while ago, her family and stuff, neighbors here were hugging them," said Kasisky.
Seven hours after the fire started the house, a crew was already being torn down.
Even though the fire destroyed almost everything the family owned, there was one very special thing they were able to salvage
The flag that was laid on Korean War Veteran John Stortz's casket at his funeral survived.
"They got my husband's flag out, and I was really thrilled," said Shirl Stortz.
A fire official said that the family did not have any insurance.
Donations of clothing and other items can be dropped off at the Nanticoke fire headquarters. There is also a fund being set up at the Vantage Trust Federal Credit Union in on South Market in Nanticoke.