UPDATE: Travel Restrictions Listed as Winter Storm Looms
UPDATE: (Wednesday 11 p.m.) The ban on empty and tandem trucks for I-81 and I-80 has been lifted.
The ban on commercial vehicles has been lifted on I-84 and I-380.
All speed restrictions in the area have been lifted.
State officials are implementing travel restrictions on major roads in our area ahead of expected winter weather on Wednesday.
Beginning at midnight on Tuesday night, PennDOT will impose a ban on empty straight trucks, large combination vehicles (tandem trailers and double trailers), tractors hauling empty trailers, trailers pulled by passenger vehicles, motorcycles and recreational vehicles, or RVs, on:
- I-78 from the junction with I-81 to the New Jersey state line.
- I-80 from the junction with I-81 to the New Jersey state line.
- I-81 from the Maryland state line to the New York state line.
- I-84 from the junction with I-81 to the New York state line.
- I-380 from the junction with I-80 to the junction with I-81.
At the same time, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission will prohibit these vehicles from traveling the northeastern extension between the Lehigh Tunnel and Clarks Summit.
Additionally, at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, all commercial vehicles will be banned on I-380 and I-84 within Pennsylvania.
Restrictions will remain in place as long as warranted through the storm. As conditions develop, speed restrictions and wider truck and vehicle bans will be considered on these routes.
See real-time traffic conditions at WNEP Traffic Tracker.