The countdown to Christmas is on! With four days left until Christmas, last minute gift buying is at its prime, and, this weekend, area stores are expected to be slammed with shoppers.
Saturday, December 23, is expected to be the busiest shopping day of the year. Super Saturday or "Panic Saturday" as some call it is when many make that final effort for last minute gifts.
To help you maximize your time and money this weekend, Newswatch 16's Ryan Leckey teamed up with blogger and super shopper Christina Hitchcock in the Moscow area of Lackawanna County.
Christina offered tips on everything from where to find deep discounts on everything from gift cards to apps to help you price match items in seconds.
Shopping Tips and Suggestions:
- Saturday is a big day for in-store shopping. Take advantage of extended hours and one-day sales. Kohl's is open 24 hours and is offering Kohl's cash on purchases. Get there early to beat the crowds.
- Some stores allow you to order online and pick up at the store. This is a great time-saving option for last-minute shoppers.
- Friday, December 22, is the last day to order on Amazon using the two-day prime shipping! If you're not a prime member, you can sign up for a 30-day free trial to take advantage of the free two-day shipping option. Just remember to cancel the subscription in January or you'll be charged for it.
Tips on What to Buy:
- Gift cards are one of the most popular gifts. Many places are offering discounts on gift cards like DSW has buy $100, get $20 free. Don't forget to shop local too! For example, Massage Works in Moscow has 25% off their gift certificates until the end of December.
- Watch for bundled deals too. LLBean has a deal going on where if you spend $50 in products, you get a $10 gift card.
- Not sure what to buy the person that has everything? Consider giving an experience! Dirty Dancing is coming to the F.M. Kirby Center in January and February.
- APPS to help: To help you find and compare the best prices, try apps including "ShopSavvy" which allows you to scan the barcode of a product and find the best prices. There are others too like "Retail Me Not," "Slick Deals," and "Shopular."
What to Buy This Weekend and What to Wait on Until after Christmas:
- TOYS: BUY! This is a great time to purchase toys. You can find deals of 50-60% off! LEGO, Fisher Price, and Barbie usually hit their lowest around this time.
- CLOTHES: WAIT! Super discounts after the holidays.
- JEWELRY: BUY! Many jewelry retailers target the last minute shoppers.
- TVs: WAIT! There are usually better deals around the Super Bowl.
- EXERCISE EQUIPMENT: WAIT! The deals are much better in January.
- CHAMPAGNE: BUY! December is the best time to buy the bubbly! Competition drives down the prices during holiday party season.