School Closings And Delays

Carbon Monoxide Gas Forces Family From Home in Pike County

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LACKAWAXEN TOWNSHIP -- Fire officials in Pike County said 14 people were taken to a hospital Thursday night to be checked after carbon monoxide filled the home they were staying in near Hawley.

According to authorities, the gas seeped into the home at Woodloch Springs development in Lackawaxen Township.

The fire chief said the carbon monoxide detector in the home went off, which caused the family to call 911.

When emergency crews arrived at the scene, officials said the levels of carbon monoxide measured in the home were dangerously high.

The victims were taken to the hospital to be checked.  They ranged in age from 18 months to 74 years old.  Everyone is expected to be okay.

Because carbon monoxide is a poisonous, odorless gas, the fire chief says the carbon monoxide detector helped save their lives.

The fire chief believes the high levels of carbon monoxide was caused by a malfunctioning boiler in the home in Pike County.