Hundreds Gather in Wilkes-Barre For Rally Against Refugee Executive Order

WILKES-BARRE -- One week after President Donald Trump announced a ban on Syrian refugees entering the United States, hundreds gathered in downtown Wilkes-Barre to protest the ban, even after a federal judge in Washington halted the ban.

"It angers me, but I think it's time to take it to the streets and take some action," said organizer Christine Somers.

The rally was organized by The Sisters of Mercy, The Peace and Justice Center, and the Islamic Association of Northeast Pennsylvania.

Anas Allouz came to Luzerne County nearly two years ago. He's originally from Syria but came to the country as a refugee from Jordan. And in just the last week, it has been a roller coaster of emotions for Allouz as the ban went into effect and then was halted shortly thereafter.

"I'm feeling overwhelmed," said the Kingston resident.  "The people they support us because I am a refugee. They support us. They support the refugees. I like that."

This is not the first rally against President Trump's executive order. Over the course of the last week, protests, rallies, and even vigils have popped up all over from Williamsport to Hazleton and in Scranton, too.

Laura Kelsall brought her grandson from Waverly to the rally, which was set up by several area organizations.

"This is so important," she explained. "This is America, the land of the free and we welcome everybody."

Sporadically throughout the rally, people could be heard driving by or shouting things in favor of the president and in favor of the refugee ban.

"I say keep them out," said one man, who declined to give his name. "I pay taxes. The first thing they do when they come into the country, they say they can't speak English and they go for social security."

Organizers say they'll continue to speak out on the issue until there's real change to reverse the ban.

• Don't Run We Are Your Friends

These idiots remind me of the people with the sign that said “WELCOME TO EARTH” in Mars Attacks.

• GetOnBoard

For all of you that hate President Trump, I have no issue with you. You are completely entitled to your view, and I respect that. So, here is the best way you can really make your voice heard….
    1. When income taxes get reduced, give that money back to the government.
    2. When you go to a job interview, and an illegal, or refugee also show up…Withdraw your candidacy for the position.
    3. When roads, bridges, and highways get improved, don’t drive on them. Ride your flying Unicorn to the protest.
    4. When energy prices drop, due to less regulation, donate that money saved, to St. Jude.
    5. When Apple, Google, and all those other companies repatriate money, boycott them. (that means dumping your hybrid car, and smashing your I-phone)
    6. When an Illegal felonious alien needs a place to hide… Take them into your home. (and feed the poor thing)
    7. When your healthcare has choices, do not accept it. (and by all means donate the reduction to St. Jude, as well)
    8. And FINALLY…. When that ballistic missile comes screaming in from the Middle East…… By all means JUMP IN FRONT OF IT!!!!!!!!!
    Just a few suggestions from a friend that is concerned about your feelings.
    Sincerely,
    GetOnBoard

• Goose

I now want to do a reverse psy-op. I need you all to down vote all of my comments from now on. They seem to leave those up to make themselves feel better. Start with this one. Who’s in? I’ll reciprocate. Gonna dislike this right after posting it 😉

• Goose

The best question I saw get thrown at Nancy Pelosi was by a mother who’s son was brutally tortured and then set on fire by an illegal immigrant while choking back her tears- “You always talk about your grandchildren. Can you pick which one of them you would trade so that another can come here and live comfortably?”. It was heart breaking. The question did not get answered. Just political dance class as usual. You people are living in a closed loop of swell happenings until the ‘real’ falls on you.

• Goose

I just noticed that someone on another one of these stories thinks that I need medication. They are so far into it that they wrote me a love note from “Your Meds”. I haven’t laughed that good in a long while. Who are you? You need a hug. As far as “meds”? Nope. Unless it keeps you alive. This is how they try to cut you down though. I purposely make mistakes or pick rash arguments for debate. Debates, and even complete articles get erased after a good amount of opposing opinion however. Classic liberal/fascists. Accusations to project their own guilt in the matter.

• joemama1980

Weird. Apparently the truth hating sjw’s at WNEP don’t like honesty or the truth. You’re not journalists, you’re sad children.

• Goose

I’m glad that some educated people are pointing out what is really going on here. You get these paid protestors bused in to wreak havoc in metropolitan areas, they make the news with an edit or 100 edits, then mindless drones roll out to local places out of emotional guilt and identity politics. I kind of feel bad for them. They are representing the EXACT things that they are against. It is a psychological operation to divide us all. You can’t tell them that they are running with the devil to seal their own fate.

• Mike

Where can I find the schedule of these gatherings? Almost all the folks from my gym will be delighted to come to the next one – I think we can even take a half-day off work. I hope our “Make America Great Again” baseball caps will not make people around uncomfortable lol.

• GetOnBoard

Not sure. Maybe contact George Soros the guy that bankrolls a lot of these protests…you know that guy who turned in Jewish to the Nazi’s. Or maybe check craigslist ads that pay people to be fake protestors.

• poonus

21 comments with only 1 showing ….what’s up WNEP? don’t want to let the people have a real voice and opinion on this issue?

• Lol keep deleting them

Nope, they keep removing the comments . Why bother to have a comment section if they gonna delete. All the comments seem t pretty civil to me. I dont get it. Maybe my friend Donald will.

45 COMMENTS

JAY DEE
      when is WNEP going to give out the protest schedule like CNN ? is that next ? your bias is show 16
      2 0 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:16 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

CEEME
      These protesters are STUPID! No country is obligated to take in refugees or anyone else just because they did in the past. We have millions already and this country has changed over the last half century. Do these people realize how much immigrants cost us? Do they realize this money could be spent on our children and country? What do these people contribute to us? Not much but a day job, which benefits them. They didn’t build this country. European immigrants did. All they do is take. Diversity doesn’t make us great. People who become Americans and adopt our ways and culture and language, do.
      Something needs to done and I will continue to get Trump’s beliefs enforced here. P.S. stupid people, none of these people would help you if the shoe was on the other foot and our resources here, natural, social, etc. aren’t infinite.
      Decades from now, your great grandchildren will be living under the thumb of people who are foreign born and have no connections to our constitution and way of life. I’ll be laughing at your stupidity!
      3 0 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:16 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

TIRED OLD MAN
      I love it when these liberals prove to us all how vile, evil and hypocritical they are with their immigration lawyers and left wing politicians standing in front of cameras talking about the recent Federal Court rulings and the Constitution and rule of law. When Obama was President they did not give a rat`s petunia about the rule of law or the Constitution and applauded everything he did to get around it. If they think they are going to turn OUR Country into a third world refugee camp they better go back to Soros and get a whole lot more money because they have a long four year fight on their hands. We have a God given right to decide who can and cannot come into OUR Country and one final point, the Constitution was written for the citizens of this Country and not third world middle eastern countries. A Government`s first and foremost obligation s to protect it`s citizens and that is exactly what this Executive order is about.
      12 0 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 11:48 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

GETONBOARD
      Exactly ! Our Constitution is NOT a Treaty with every country in this world.
      9 0 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 11:59 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

TRUMP SUPPORTER
      Bunch of f**king idiots.they are the reason why America is the way it is.send them back where ever the came from.we have Homeless women and children in the streets to worry about them these f**king clowns.
      15 2 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 10:36 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

JD
      Terrorists can infiltrate the immigration population. Unfortunately they don’t wear uniforms. If there’s a terror attack in this country, the protesters own it
      22 3 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 8:54 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

JOEMAMA1980
      If Barry had done this the left would be completely behind it. But Barry was too busy demonizing white people, responsible gun owners and the working class.
      23 2 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 8:27 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

CUP.OF.COFFEE
      The executive order drew a lot of attentions.. i like that.
      My suggestions for the next act should be : NO MORE VISA to United States of America from those countries PERMANENTLY, Took out our U.S Embassy out of there, and Pull out our troops from those countries.
      Can we do that? If we want to be GREAT AGAIN we have to show it that we’re ready to be GREAT AGAIN, we’re ready for all the risks, we know what we’re doing and we’re solid committed to our words that has been spoken and won’t back down for whatever reason.
      23 2 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 8:07 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

WRITER GIRL
      Some immigration should be permanently stopped and ALL IMMIGRATION should be halted temporarily. I like your ideas about the embassy. Contact your Congressman and ask.
      0 0 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:24 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

PA. BORDER PATROL
      I have a few questions for all of these Hillary voting protesters. How many of these immigrants and refugees will you be taking into YOUR house? One? Two? Ten? Oh wait. You’re saying none? Why none? They certainly are allowed in my house.
      27 3 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 7:35 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

TJ
      The rally was organized by The Sisters of Mercy, The Peace and Justice Center, The Islamic Association of Northeast Pennsylvania, and the Jewish Community Alliance of Northeastern Pennsylvania. It was to show our community’s support for refugees and immigrants. After a prayer and reflection, several speakers addressed the need for unity and inclusivity in America in light of current events.
      The rally was not meant to look for people to house refugees. But, since you brought it up, are you taking any in or are they just allowed in your house? If you would like to take in a refugee, you may want to get in touch with one of the above named groups or perhaps Catholic Social Services since they already have a refugee prgram. As for myself, one of the missions of the church to which I belong is to be transfored by the holy spirit in a community of faith, hope and love. At the rally, the messages from the speakers were about faith, hope and love.
      Although I have not taken in any refugees myself, I have shown that I am aligned wth my church’s teachings since I leaned in and attended and supported the speakers with their initiative.
      My question to you is, are your words and deeds aligned with the teaching of your church with regards to this subject? If so, how?
      1 10 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 10:53 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

TIRED OLD MAN
      I don`t know what Church you belong to my friend but my Church has a catechism that states that a country has a duty and a right to protect it`s borders and citizens and guests of the host country have a duty to respect the host country`s laws and government in other words sharia law won`t work here. Massive immigration is not the answer for any church where you have a threat of violence, a clash of cultures and where it places hardships and problems on the host country. The answer to these problems is simple. The Churches would better serve those who are suffering by taking their massive resources and influence to re-settle people outside of war torn areas and build housing and supply food close to where they live with their families in a U.N. agreed upon safe area instead of trying to force other nations and cultures to change and accommodate and accept people who may wind up being terrorists or criminals but of course that would not help the liberal one world order Marxist agenda much but would be much more charitable not only to us but to them. Let us not forget, even the Vatican has a wall around it.
      5 1 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:04 PM

WRITER GIRL
      Faith, hope and love have nothing to do with immigration and doesn’t mean taking in people from other places to the detriment of ourselves. Aligned enough for you? It is for me.
      1 0 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:20 PM

GETONBOARD
      How many of those organizations are subcontracts of one of the 7 major organizations that get Federal dollars from the Federal Refugee Resettlement Program?
      The American branch of the Roman Catholic Church is getting millions of taxpayer dollars to settle refugees. According to their financial statement the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops received over $79 million in government grants to provide benefits to refugees in 2014 .
      Ironically, the Catholic Bishops are bringing Muslims in, while closing down Catholic churches inside the U.S.
      Ann Corcoran’s Refugee Resettlement Watch website notes that Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church in Syracuse, New York, was closed down by the Catholic Church and has been leased to an Islamic society which renamed it Mosque Of Jesus The Son Of Mary. ( quite the scammers they are , making money on the side )
      In addition to direct federal grants to help refugees, government at various levels provide subsidized housing, healthcare, food stamps, other cash assistance, and free education. There is also a cost to the criminal justice system of taking care of the criminals among them. They get them apartments, pay their rent, furnish their apartments, stock them with food.
      It’s the Catholic role, in collaboration with the federal government, in bringing refugees to the U.S. that caused Corcoran to leave the church. She told Accuracy in Media, “In 2002, having been raised in a protestant faith, I became a Catholic. For a few years I loved being a Catholic. All of that changed beginning in 2007 when I learned that another church group began resettling mostly Muslim refugees to my rural county in Western Maryland. I learned that the church group was largely funded and directed by the U.S. State Department to place the refugees in our county with no local input.”
      She added, “But that is not everything I learned. My research led me to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ acceptance of over $70 million a year of taxpayer dollars to similarly resettle thousands of impoverished third-worlders, many from Muslim countries, in other unsuspecting towns and cities.
      Catholic Charities throughout the U.S. get many millions more to do the work as well.”
      She says this kind of work by the Catholic and other churches is not Christian charity. “As harsh as it sounds,” she says, “I look on it as thievery when a supposedly non-profit ‘religious charity’ helps itself to the U.S. Treasury and then pats itself on the back for doing good works. And then lobbies Congress for more money for itself to boot!
      Also,
      In the USA the Church of Satan is not considered a religion. Just because those who push an Ideology want to call their beliefs a Religion does not mean it is nor should any so called religion have a right to impose through violence their beliefs. Any religion that calls for killing non believers should never be considered a religion and have religious freedoms in our country! This is only common sense.
      This could be our KEY to stop the Islamization of the USA! That we start a petition to have Islam removed as a religion in the USA on the basis it’s ideology is a Political and governmental system that hides itself as a religion with the intent to destroy the religious freedoms of millions of Americans…. That it hides itself using the very laws we use to protect our freedom of Religious beliefs they intend to destroy.
      1 0 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:34 PM

DAVE
      Why does WNEP16 bash everything Trump ?……Is this fake news too ?
      30 7 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 5:21 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

GOOSE
      34 3 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 3:40 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

TIRED OLD MAN
      What left wing liberal Christians want are full stomachs and empty souls.
      2 0 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:06 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

WARNINGFAKENEWS
      ‘Peace loving’ Muslims and the democrats stay silent on the atrocities committed by the extremists of the religion. One might understand the desire for Muslims to be that way, taking into consideration their sacred text. What of the leftist democrats, though? Don’t they proclaim to be protectors or women and folks who choose the same gender to cohabitate with? These are their own people, apparently- to them, they are expendable.
      23 2 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 3:05 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

DICKEN’S CIDER
      I’m protesting the Super Bowl cuz muh feelings and not my team 😦
      18 3 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:58 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

CUMMIN’S CIDER
      Welp, CNN and ABC just reported that the falcons have a 92 percent chance of winning. Who are you going for. I’m surprised they didn’t say the Broncos or the Cults are going to win
      9 1 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 2:29 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

GOOSE
      Can’t wait to see the “rallies” that pop off when other Executive Orders are passed to drug test Welfare recipients and for Voter ID requirements. What were those arguments again?
      27 2 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:11 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

WARNINGFAKENEWS
      Gotta love the president’s implementation of weakening the grip of the corrupted media on the news of the day, by bringing in Skype questions from local stations, radio hosts, and probably ordinary Americans, too in the press conferences. It’s SO REFRESHING to see the “rules of the game” changed just when the smug ‘professionals’ thought they knew how the game was played better than anyone else. For some reason, they are shell-shocked!
      38 6 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 8:21 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

LLOYD SCHMUCATELLI
      I enjoy reading your perspective. Your so right about many things
      26 4 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 8:27 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

WARNINGFAKENEWS
      The feeling is mutual, Lloyd, keep up the great work!
      23 3 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 8:31 PM

TRUMP STOMPER
      You sound like Trump whispering in Putin’s ear.
      3 23 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 10:56 PM

MARE Z
      I see that you and the other poster, warningfakenews, are both aware of what’s going on regarding the idelogy that we’re up-against. Please, see this and share it; knowledge is power, and there’s power in numbers!
      wwwDOTLearn.PoliticalIslamDOTcom
      Thank You! ^5
      16 2 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 5, 2017 AT 12:09 AM

DAN
      I am going to have my own protest (go home– go home– go home. Burn the stupid signs–Burn the stupid signs. Get a job–Get a job– Get a job– feed our hungry– feed our hungry–live in peace–live in peace. Go to work– go to work– go to work. That was tough
      43 6 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 7:51 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

LLOYD SCHMUCATELLI
      If trump is smart, which he is, then this refugee thing is nothing more than meat for the wolves to keep them fed while he works on much more important stuff. Like wall plans, design and review.
      Wait and see, he’s no dummy.
      Clever boy.
      41 8 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 7:14 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

LLOYD SCHMUCATELLI
      And if and liberal left wing douche doubts his abilities, capabilities, reasoning, adaptability, cleverness, negotiating skills, and/or all of the above, well hey, who just won the election??????
      32 7 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 7:22 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

GOP HATER
      Whatever. Just kiss the ring like Romney & Christie did. He’s screwing you now like he screwed them them. Clueless fool.
      6 30 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 10:54 PM

4 YEARS OF RALLYING
      Putin won. You all lost. And your views are dumb.
      5 28 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 10:58 PM

WARNINGFAKENEWS
      There is something to be said about a master showman, he has a lot of things to keep them busy as he gets the serious stuff done pronto, and the media and the democrats (one and the same) cannot help themselves when they think they smell blood in the water. Meanwhile, #MAGA is being carried out.
      25 8 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 7:58 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

LLOYD SCHMUCATELLI
      A liberal utopia:
      You have freedom of speech, but don’t you dare say anything that disagrees with me.
      Be an individual!! But don’t be a man or a woman or a boy or a girl or exclude any from being the other.
      Give me my safe space, but all bathrooms are fair game! Let the people pee!
      We want fairness! Be damned be your fairly elected officials!
      We want equality! Do that means we don’t want a man to be a man without a woman being able to have the same opportunity.
      Wedon’t understand that the right brings balance to the left!
      We support The New Collossus written in 1883, but not the 2nd amendment written in 1791.
      We want equal pay for equal work, but we don’t want anyone making
      more than us.
      Under protest signs that say: “Save our country”, they burn the American flag and raise a rainbow one instead.
      They say to believe in whatever you want to believe in, but don’t believe in god.
      39 6 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 7:08 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

WARNINGFAKENEWS
      So we have four organizations, some of which are benefiting financially for settling refugees here, in all likelihood. And this small crowd is all they can muster? Why isn’t WNEP interested in the connections between Soros and the protests?
      41 5 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 6:44 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

THINK POSITIVE
      What kind of a jerk would bring a young child to a protest rally?
      48 7 Rate This
      FEBRUARY 4, 2017 AT 6:18 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

• Writer Girl

Anas Allouz was born in Syria, but came as a refugee from Jordan…
    Thank you for confirming that the refugee and immigration from the Middle East, is difficult to vet and there are numerous ways to get around things and enter this country.
    STOP ALL IMMIGRATION NOW!

• poonus

thanks for showing the media bias… they want open borders, so they will keep deleting any views that go against their owners. what needs to happen as Ron Paul said is the incentive to come in and get free stuff needs to be removed.
    one thing citizens forget, non-citizens might deserve respect, but they have ‘no civil rights’ being in the country illegally. civil rights are reserved for citizens…but hey if they want to go to Saudi Arabia and protest burning Saudi flags or Mexico and demand free stuff they will figure out quickly that the USA is the only country giving away door prizes.

• WarningFakeNews

The media pretends to care deeply about the first amendment, as long as they are championing their own rights. Give someone else the microphone and they squeal like stuck pigs. What’s up with that?

• Writer Girl

Did you notice the foreign flags at the protest? Why would one come here and fly the flag of the country you can’t wait to leave? These losers need to become an American or go home!

• TJ

• Tired Old Man

• Writer Girl

• GetOnBoard

Also,

• chaunceythegardner

Hey TJ, get your liberal head out of your arse. Our national debt will be $20 Trillion within the next 45 days. The USA is technically BROKE! We don’t need anymore charity cases, we need people that can MAKE not TAKE. Get it?

• Allen

@getaclueII: Like your party cared so much about the Cuban people Obama barred from staying if they reached US soil a week before he left office? Oh that’s right, the leftist media just ignored that one didn’t they?.. Your comment shows anything but intelligence.

• Givemeabreak

I thought it was Obama’s fault for dividing the country? I guess he made you say these things? Keep up the hate, Karma has a funny way of balancing things out.

• Mare Z

wwwDOTLearn.PoliticalIslamDOTcom
    Thank You! ^5

• GOP Hater

• Try Me

Oh yea? Bet you’re really not as tough as you pretend to be. If you dare make another remark like that on here, you’ll be talking to the authorities. This was a peaceful presentation put together but the Sisters of Mercy, etc. Guess you’re just a home grown terrorist? I thought that was what you all were trying to prevent with your unconstitutional ban. Maybe we should be protesting the likes of you!

• WarningFakeNews