Towel on Heater Sparks Scranton Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SCRANTON -- Officials say towels on a portable heater caused a fire Monday afternoon in Scranton.

Firefighters were called to Laurel Street around 2:30 p.m.

One man was inside the apartment house at the time. He used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.

Crews remind people to use care with heaters as the weather gets colder.

"Time to get the boiler looked at, cold mornings you have the heat coming on automatically or you're turning them on," said Acting Assistant Fire Chief Jim Cooney.

Residents were able to go back into the apartment house later in the afternoon.