Flames Rip through Pocono Home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STROUD TOWNSHIP -- Crews were called to a house fire Monday afternoon in Monroe County.

It started around 1:30 p.m. in the home on Arbor Way in Stroud Township, near Bartonsville.

Three people were inside and all made it out safely.

Neighbors who live nearby tell us they've never seen anything like this.

Daishanea Bruce from New York State was visiting her aunt for Columbus Day weekend when she saw heavy smoke. She immediately called 911.

"We were visiting, and she noticed the smoke coming out but we thought it was a chimney, but it wasn't, and then we came out and we started to call and we started walking towards the fire."

Flames ripped through the back and roof of the home.

Officials tell Newswatch 16 homeowners heard a loud explosion from the back of the home and the house went up in flames.

"It's a shame and they have had a little bit of bad luck in that house," said neighbor Steven Acosta. "Trees from the winter storms fell on that house and they just had the backyard cleared out, they were looking to stay a long time and look what happens."

According to officials, the wind and the fact that all the firefighters are volunteers made getting to this fire and putting it out difficult.

Neighbors nearby are happy no one was hurt but feel for the family who lost their home.

"I think it's sad," said Bruce. "I don't like watching like this but things happen every day."

"It's a shame but the best part is it looks like everyone came out safe," Acosta added.

Officials tell Newswatch 16 they are not sure where the fire started yet, but it does not appear to be suspicious.

The three who live inside will now be staying with family.