Five People Taken into Custody in Connection with NYC Bombing: Sources

Governor Andrew Cuomo visited Chelsea where the explosion occurred last night.
Governor Cuomo

Governor Andrew Cuomo visited Chelsea where the explosion occurred last night. Governor Cuomo

NEW YORK — Five people have reportedly been taken into custody in connection with the explosion in New York City Saturday night.

Sources tell ABC News the five were taken into custody Sunday night after a traffic stop on the Verrazano–Narrows Bridge, which connects Brooklyn and Staten Island.

The explosion happened around 8:30 p.m. Saturday on West 23rd Street in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood. 29 people were hurt in the explosion. Of those, 26 people were taken to a hospital. By Sunday morning, all 26 patients had been released from hospitals.

A law enforcement source, speaking with CNN on the condition of anonymity, said the blast came from an explosive device planted near a dumpster. Shortly afterward, another suspicious device was found four blocks away on West 27th street: a pressure cooker with dark-colored wiring, according to law enforcement officials.

Surveillance videos show the same man in both locations under investigation.

The man is seen dragging what appears to be a duffel bag with wheels near the site of the West 23rd street explosion about 40 minutes before the blast, according to multiple local and federal law enforcement sources. About 10 minutes later, surveillance video shows the same man with what appears to be the same duffel bag on West 27th street, multiple law enforcement sources said.

In the video, the man leaves the duffel bag where police later found the unexploded pressure cooker. After he leaves, the video shows two men removing a white garbage bag believed to contain the pressure cooker from the duffel bag and leave it on the sidewalk, according to a senior law enforcement official and another source familiar with the video.

Otherwise, officials are working to determine if there’s any connection between the New York bombing and an explosion that occurred in a trash can near a Marine Corps charity race route in New Jersey earlier Saturday. Officials told CNN explosives in both incidents apparently used cell phones as timers.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

8 comments

Comments are closed.