TUNKHANNOCK -- More than 2,000 students in the Tunkhannock Area School District were left out of school a little early on Friday because the temperature inside the schools became too much to handle.
The Scranton School District also dismissed students early.
Buildings overheating and increasing humidity had become a problem in the middle school and high school.
Alec Walter says he looking forward to starting his high school journey but the heat made it uncomfortable for him and his classmates. He was sitting in class when his teacher got an email saying the school was letting out at 11:30 a.m.
"It was really hot," said Walter. "They saw yesterday students were doing very poorly, especially with sports and after school, so they decided to let us out."
School officials say they have been monitoring the heat index all week and watched temperatures rise.
Since the beginning of the school year, the Tunkhannock Area Middle School has been one of the buildings school officials have kept an eye on because it kept overheating.
After multiple buildings began to overheat, school officials decided to send all the students and staff home for health and safety reasons.
Students say the heat at Tunkhannock High school Made it nearly impossible to concentrate on their studies.
"It was just kind of hot," said senior Hunter Mingus. "It was really sweaty; everyone was sweaty, so it was kind of draining and it made it hard for the students to concentrate."
School officials say they are working to make sure this doesn't happen again.