Fire Crews Called to VA Medical Center near Wilkes-Barre

PLAINS TOWNSHIP -- Firefighters were called to an operating room area at the VA Medical Center near Wilkes-Barre when a piece of medical equipment began smoking.

Officials from the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center believe a battery charger malfunctioned in a recovery room, which led to it smoldering.

Fire crews arrived around 10 a.m. Tuesday to the medical center. They say there was no active fire, but it seems there was a smoldering in a recovery room near the operating room.

To make sure there was no fire inside any walls, crews used thermal imaging cameras, but found nothing.

The hospital was cleared without incident in about a half hour.

No one was hurt and no one is displaced.

That equipment is being reviewed and that recovery room is being cleaned up.

4 comments

Comments are closed.