Colonial Candlecrafters Closing

BUFFALO TOWNSHIP — A longtime candle company near Lewisburg will close at the end of the month.

The owner says it’s not because business is bad, but because after four decades, she is retiring.

After 42 years in business, the flame is blowing out at Colonial Candlecrafters near Lewisburg.

“I’m not going out of business. I’m retiring. It is a completely different ball of wax.”

Owner Pat Hess says business is good at her small store on Route 15. She just got an offer she couldn’t refuse. Hess is selling the building to Mifflinburg Lumber and dissolving her business. It’s a decision she says did not come easy.

“I don’t know if we could find someone who is just as crazy as I am who would sit and paint critters in the evening while you’re watching TV or, you know, just get up at 4 a.m. if necessary and hammer the candles.”

One of the things Hess’ customers say they will miss the most is something she does completely by hand. She calls them her distressed candles.

“These candles, you can’t ever buy a candle like this again. They just don’t make these anymore. That’s why I keep stocking up,” said Ann Murray of Northumberland.

Murray says she’s been coming to Colonial Candlecrafters for 25 years. She says she likes supporting small businesses rather than the large chain stores.

“I come very often just because she has lovely gifts that I buy every year for people for Christmas and birthdays and things like that.”

The store is having a “retirement sale.” Everything is 40 percent off.

The candles will blow out for good on August 30.

 

3 comments

  • Lindy

    In your rush to be negative you apparently missed a few key details. Please go back and reread the article. It states that she is RETIRING after 42 years in business, a choice she made. The lumber company purchased the property. No one drove her out of business. Good luck to you Pat on a well deserved retirement. You will be missed!

  • Snshn

    Sad to see her store close. However, after 42 years in business she deserves to retire.
    Many good wishes to you in the next phase of your life.

  • warlΦck

    Unattended candles are the #2 cause of accidental house fires. I’m glad the big lumber corporation is driving her out of business.

Comments are closed.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 37,616 other followers