Jackie Lewandoski checks in with the Clarks Summit Boy Scouts in Lackawanna State Park to learn how to campfire cook with a Dutch Oven.
Dutch Oven Recipes:
Chicken Pot Pie
• Meat from one rotisserie chicken, or four chicken breasts or 3 large cans of white chicken
• 2 bags of frozen stew vegetables or fresh vegetables of your choosing.
• 1 can of cream of chicken soup plus 1 can of water
• 1 can of corn and liquid
• 1 can/tube of biscuits or a double batch of Bisquick dumplings
Preheat Dutch oven. Combine Chicken and vegetables and cook at 350º for 30 minutes or until hot. Place biscuits on top of mixture and cook an additional 30 minutes or until baked through.
Festive Chicken Bake
• 2 ½ or 3 pound fryer chicken or 6 boneless chicken thighs
• ½ cup flour
•1 tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper
• 2/3 c light molasses
• 1 tbsp. brown mustard
• 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
• 1 can (8oz) sliced pineapple
• 3 diced sweet potatoes
Combine flour with salt and pepper. Coat chicken pieces in the flour mixture and brown in the hot oil. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Combine juice, molasses, mustard and vinegar – mix well. After chicken is browned, arrange potatoes around the chicken. Brush with half the sauce. Cover and bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Top with pineapple, brush with remaining sauce, cook 30 minutes more.
• 2 cans cherry pie filling.
• 2 sticks butter
•1 box yellow cake mix oven
• ½ - 1 cup of chopped walnuts
Preheat Dutch oven. Pour pie filling in the bottom of the oven. Sprinkle cake mix over the top and DO NOT STIR! Top with nuts. Placed sliced butter over the top. Bake at 350º for about 30 min.