UPDATE: Mail Carrier Dies After House Fire

WILKES-BARRE — UPDATE: Authorities in Luzerne County said an unconscious woman who was pulled from a late-night house fire died at the hospital.

According to the Luzerne County Coroner’s office, Laurie Merritt, 51, Wilkes-Barre died from carbon monoxide positioning.

Officials say a ruling on the manner of death is on hold, until police and fire officials finish their investigation.

United States Postal Service officials said Merritt has been a city mail carrier in Wilkes-Barre for more than 13 years.

“She was a top notch neighbor and friend. I’m definitely going to miss her,” said John Minarik. “Right up to yesterday, mail was always on time. Rain, snow or sleet, you know.”

Investigators told Newswatch 16 that it’s still unclear how the fire started or why Merritt was in the attic.

Neighbors said Merritt’s daughter was not home at the time of the fire.

5 comments

Talkback 16 Online Discussion:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 26,811 other followers