WILKES-BARRE -- UPDATE: Authorities in Luzerne County said an unconscious woman who was pulled from a late-night house fire died at the hospital.
According to the Luzerne County Coroner’s office, Laurie Merritt, 51, Wilkes-Barre died from carbon monoxide positioning.
Officials say a ruling on the manner of death is on hold, until police and fire officials finish their investigation.
United States Postal Service officials said Merritt has been a city mail carrier in Wilkes-Barre for more than 13 years.
"She was a top notch neighbor and friend. I’m definitely going to miss her,” said John Minarik. "Right up to yesterday, mail was always on time. Rain, snow or sleet, you know.”
Investigators told Newswatch 16 that it’s still unclear how the fire started or why Merritt was in the attic.
Neighbors said Merritt's daughter was not home at the time of the fire.