Icy Roadway Causes Wrecks, Shuts Down Part of Route 6

lacka

A busy road that runs through Lackawanna and Wayne Counties was closed because of a number of crashes Tuesday morning.

PennDOT shut down Route 6 in both directions between Carbondale and Canaan Township near Waymart.

Officials said a number of crashes involving both cars and tractor-trailers happened around 7 a.m. because of icy conditions.  The road is closed as crews clean up after the wreck.

The road reopened after 9 a.m.

 

7 comments

  • Franko

    BTW, if the accident happened at any part of Rt 6 that was an uphill sections, the trucks hardly pull themselves up those hills. I will say that they should have the warning devices that they have on the hills of Route 6 up in Tunkhannock and Route 309 in Mountain Top — When the weather is bad and the hills/mountains are getting slippery, PennDot activates the warning system and the signs indicate that there is a ban against any commercial vehicles going up or down them.

  • Franko

    I am so sick and tires of 16 always automatically stating that it was a truckers fault before there is a complete investigation — If you research it, many of the truck accidents in our area, after the state police investigation is done, turns out to be the fault of the car driver… And if you don’t believe me do the research on local accidents, state accidents and nationawide accidents and you will discover that the number of turck accidents that were a result of a car driver have increased while the number of truck driver at fault ones have decreased.

    From a national traffic agency accident study that was published during Feb 2013 —

    New Agency Study Shows That Passenger Cars Are Speeding More Than Big Trucks
    February 12, 2013

    What a surprise — unlike what all the lawyer commercials and all these other groups say about trucks being a danger and being operated with total disregard to cars — surprise, surprise, it turns out that cars are the bigger road hazzard out there! Speeding was again the Number 1 citation for all passenger vehicles during 2012.

    The study found that passenger car speeding citations are up 10% over the 2011 year, while those issued to drivers of commercial vehicles are only up 2%. The results are based on law enforcement reports that studied approximately 35,000 commercial vehicles and passenger cars in 2012.

    Failure to use safety belts in cars were the second more common offense, and failure to obey traffic control devices (stop signs, lights, etc), were the third common.

    Only about 15 % were citations issued to commercial vehicles, while the remaining 85% of citations were issued to passenger cars and other vehicles, such as motorcycles, cabs, etc.

    So once again, the public is greatly misinformed and lead to believe that truck drivers are dangerous and are lawbreakers and are only out to make money and harm anyone that gets in their way, when in fact it is the average everyday car motorist that is committing the violations and making the roads a dangerous place !

  • citizenband

    It was on ice how do you know the truck driver was being careless were you following him or her and as i read it there was also cars wrecked so i suppose next you will blame the truck driver for making the cars wreck to you people who blame the the trucks for everything need to get behind the wheel of one and drive it or take a ride with us and see what we deal with every day until you can do that you all need to shut up and stop blaming us for every thing maybe we should all stop driving then see how much you blame use when you dont have any thing you need remember every thing you have in your lifes a truck brought to were you got it

    • Franko

      From a national traffic agency accident study that was published during Feb 2013 –
      New Agency Study Shows That Passenger Cars Are Speeding More Than Big Trucks
      February 12, 2013
      What a surprise — unlike what all the lawyer commercials and all these other groups say about trucks being a danger and being operated with total disregard to cars — surprise, surprise, it turns out that cars are the bigger road hazzard out there! Speeding was again the Number 1 citation for all passenger vehicles during 2012.
      The study found that passenger car speeding citations are up 10% over the 2011 year, while those issued to drivers of commercial vehicles are only up 2%. The results are based on law enforcement reports that studied approximately 35,000 commercial vehicles and passenger cars in 2012.
      Failure to use safety belts in cars were the second more common offense, and failure to obey traffic control devices (stop signs, lights, etc), were the third common.
      Only about 15 % were citations issued to commercial vehicles, while the remaining 85% of citations were issued to passenger cars and other vehicles, such as motorcycles, cabs, etc.
      So once again, the public is greatly misinformed and lead to believe that truck drivers are dangerous and are lawbreakers and are only out to make money and harm anyone that gets in their way, when in fact it is the average everyday car motorist that is committing the violations and making the roads a dangerous place !

  • EvilLAien

    I understand there is a need for emergency personnel to get to a scene rapidly but as a message to Dickson City Police Department. Could you please refrain from driving as my son said to me “like the crazy police in Need for Speed” there are people trying to get their children “Safely” to school and would prefer not to risk a head on collision. Thanks for your understanding

Comments are closed.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 40,066 other followers