WILKES-BARRE — The former head of the Wyoming Valley Sanitary Authority pleaded guilty Thursday morning to a theft of services charge.
With the possibility of a trial that could expose years of questionable decisions Fred DeSanto decided to plead guilty in the Luzerne County Courthouse.
DeSanto ignored questions as he walked into the Luzerne County Courthouse with his attorney.
In September, DeSanto was charged with diversion of services.
Court records say the longtime former director of the Wyoming Valley Sanitary Authority sent sewer crews to do around $30,000 worth of work at the Pittston Township Little League field near DeSanto’s home.
Newswatch 16 found that the Little League building is being worked on.
There’s still a sign with DeSanto’s name on the scoreboard but his name is no longer on the dugouts. A volunteer said the Little League has no comment about the guilty plea.
Some people who live in Pittston believe that DeSanto was only trying to help the community. Others say he committed a crime.”
“I am on a very limited income and it just makes me sick. Why they just don’t throw him in jail.”
Eileen Boos says the judge should make an example of DeSanto.
Court records say 22 sewer authority workers told investigators that DeSanto stole services for two decades but because of the statute of limitations, he could only be charged for accusations within the past 10 years.
DeSanto was allowed to return home until he is sentenced in April. His attorney is asking for probation but prosecutors say DeSanto could face up to seven years in state prison.
The authority has not returned our emails but officials there have previously said they froze DeSanto’s benefits to collect restitution.