WNEP Facebook
WNEP Facebook

Follow WNEP on Facebook

Students Dismissed Early Due To Odor Scare

Posted on: 10:42 am, February 21, 2014, by , updated on: 07:12pm, February 21, 2014

PLYMOUTH – Firefighters in Luzerne County said the odor of natural gas, and the lack of heat, led administrators to send students and staff home early at Wyoming Valley West High School.

Luzerne County 911 dispatchers say the school was put on lockdown Friday morning, when people inside and outside the building reported that they could smell the odor of natural gas.

Plymouth Fire Company Chief Rob Meyers told Newswatch 16 that officials traced the odor back to a malfunctioning regulator, which connects a natural gas line to the school’s boilers.

“The regulator is releasing some gas outside. It`s actually doing its job, but it’s not supposed to be doing it on a constant basis,” said Meyers.

Dottie Bukuski said she rushed to the high school, when she received a recorded phone call from administrators.

“I was quite worried because I didn`t know what was happening you know,” said Bukuski. “I drive my grandson back and forth every day, so I came to pick him up as soon as I got the call.”

Officials said the regulator and boiler must be fixed and inspected before the heating system can be turned back on.

School employees said no one reported that they felt sick during the incident.

Administrators at Wyoming Valley West Area School District did not return calls to Newswatch 16.

6 comments

Talkback 16 Online Discussion:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

WNEP Facebook
WNEP Facebook

Follow WNEP on Facebook