Puppies Rescued From Meth Lab In Columbia County

Posted on: 4:46 pm, February 19, 2014, by , updated on: 04:05pm, February 20, 2014

MONTOUR TOWNSHIP — Eight puppies and their mother are now safe after police busted a suspected drug lab near Bloomsburg.

Several people found inside that mobile home are now in police custody facing felony charges.

Around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, police in Columbia County raided a mobile home near Bloomsburg expecting to find methamphetamine, and meth making supplies.

But police found even more when they went inside: newborn puppies only about a week old and their mother without any food in sight.

Neighbors at the Perry Avenue trailer park say the raid began Wednesday morning.

“I see an unmarked car come in, then I see another car come in, and then another and then another,” said neighbor Kristy Shultz.

Shultz lives in a mobile home just across from the apparent meth operation and says she knew the men living there and what was going on inside.

Police say this is the second time this trailer has been busted for meth making.  Two years ago different renters were also found to be making meth here.

“It’s cheap to make, and it’s easy to make and it’s very dangerous to make but there’s more and more of it popping up all over,” said Montour Township Police Chief Terry Eckart.

Crews rescued newborn pups and their mother Sika from the mobile home.

“It’s pretty bad in there, pretty bad in there, no food for the mother. I saw no food, no water, so I don’t know how many days she’s been going without that and of course she’s got to feed her puppies,” said Animal Resource Center volunteer Linda Bird.

Volunteers say the boxer-lab mix puppies are extremely young and will need some TLC. They’ll get plenty of it at the Animal Resource Center in Bloomsburg until they find a loving home.

“They’re only about a week old, so it’s going to be a little time, and then eventually they’ll learn to trust our staff, and they will be up for adoption once we get them all taken care of and they get a little bit older.”

William Parks, Matthew Smith and Michael Ridall are all being arraigned on meth manufacturing and other drug charges.

Two women were arrested on unrelated charges.

The puppies are being cared for in Bloomsburg at the Animal Resource Center.

You can get more information about how to adopt these puppies when they are old enough here.

• ironwill says:

I know why I don’t see so many people in public pushing old shopping carts full of garbage & mumbling incoherently to themselves. They got computers & now spend their time posting nonsense on this site. Just say’in.

• I think the drug dealers should rot in jail n not get out hello kids live in that trailer court think of the kids and all they care bout is making the drug n all they care bout is themselves nobody else

• Mike says:

Bloomsburg and Catawissa are LOADED with meth heads/meth cooks. Drug task forces should be walking around neighborhoods with drug sniffing dogs.

• Sundown says:

No I am not a proud local I did not come from a violent household I unfortunately married someone who had family members who were just as violent as the city I came from and blamed their stupidity on people from the city, now that’s really stupid. Uneducated? I have an MBA. criticize? they were acting like they knew who I was? Criticize? My bad. criticizing druggies and drug dealers. You however sound like a typical local that I have run into being that you think you all are the only ones on the planet that knows anything at all. It’s a big world out there, try it on for size. I know what locals can be like, I married one. Violent person? Drug dealers are violent persons. People who want to see communities cleaned up aren’t violent. Violence? All the pedophiles, baby-shakers and beaters and men who burn women out in the woods? Those are violent persons. And let’s not forget all the armed robberies over the last several months. I am violent? Who’s ignorant now? I am pretty lite compared to some of the comments I read on this site.

• Sundown says:

First of all I don’t know anything about anybody personally, but I do know about drugs and what they do to a person, a family and the community. Drugs destroy them.
    No I don’t do drugs. Haven’t for years. But I know plenty about them. I know they kill people and ruin lives and neighborhoods, cities, and towns.
    Lots of people keep odd hours big deal.
    No I am not from Illinois! Go down? go down where?
    Dirt? No not dirt.
    Smart? You bet I am in spades.
    I am also an activist, you know, a person who tried to affect change, not be part of the problem.
    Cameras? Cameras down the street? Where? I don’t live there. Cameras are only a problem when people have something to hide.

• dirt dogg says:

Miranda said when she gets out of jail, she’s going after the drug dealers next.

• BBad DDog says:

Man thats those punks from the last bust.

• Sundown says:

First of all, you need to clean up the meth-heds and lock up the dealers for more than 5 whole minutes, or nothing is going to change. Second of all, If this is how they treat their pets, I wonder how they treat their kids if they have any…if they have any the kids should be taken away from these screw-ups until they’re cleaned up. “They don’t know how to keep their mouths quiet so everybody talks and there’s traffic going in and out, a million times a day. Hello, it’s common sense. It’s a drug house.” Hopefully this prompted some one to call the authorities. Why would anyone want such a thing in they’re neighborhood? Does anyone realize how nasty and violent people on meth are? BTW, it’s also the same component for 90% of ADHD meds. Could explain ALOT!

• BBadDDog says:

Do you know Skylar?

• Sundown says:

Don’t know anyone, not from here, but I know ALOT

• joe says:

I just want to tell you smarty pants SUNDOWN,you are the one that is nuts,up early in the morning ,I bet on crystal blue,seems you know so much!I AM JUST BORED!!!What are you in with that gang from Illinois ,they got their suckers right down the street.Cameras all around ,your going to go down you dirt.

• e says:

Sundown I have read most of your comment in the recent past and I can say that you are most certainly an uneducated person. Your recent comment regarding another wnep story about child abuse revealed you came from a violent household. Wow what a shock. About how you could have shot so many people who were violent in your household in the past. It was only a few days ago. Your comments show you to be a violent person, so who do you think you are to critisize anyone else commenting here. You claim not to be from nepa but based on your comments I figured you for a proud local. You may be considered smart among the people you know, but not to the rest of the world.