Troopers: Officer In Deadly Crash Going 88 MPH

Posted on: 3:47 pm, January 22, 2014, by

wmpt cop crash car

WILLIAMSPORT — New information has been released on a deadly crash involving a Williamsport police officer.

State police now say Officer Jonathan Deprenda was going 88 miles per hour in 35 MPH zone when his cruiser collided with another car, killing that driver.

Troopers who investigated the January 12 crash say Officer Deprenda was responding to help another officer with his lights and sirens on. He attempted to pass three cars and the third car turned into his path.

The fiery collision killed James Robinson, 42, of Williamsport.

State police are now trying to track down the car that was behind the victim’s car at the time of the deadly crash.

• truthseeker says:

Really Deb by the time that poor man heard the siren at the rate of speed that officer was traveling he would have had a fraction of a second to respond. 23and fatherless I feel for your loss but this is not the same type of situation that took your father. This was a trained professional police officer that absolutely had no reguard for public safety traveling at 88mph on a city street passing on the left. There is no excuse for his actions PERIOD!!! His actions have consequences just like the rest of the world. He made this bed, he killed that man and he should be held accountable! If you or I or anyone else did this we would have already been sitting in a preliminary hearing on vehicular manslaughter and he should be charged accordingly! Do not confuse this with an accident this was absolutely negligence there is a difference!

• 23yearOLDfatherless says:

So here is the thing that everyone of you that have commented on this sitution have failed to think about… First off let me tell you my story then ill get to what im trying to say. I lost my dad a year ago in motorcyle accident, he had a helmt on… a 28 year old pull out in front of him and they colided ..long story short my father that was 49 didnt make it. The 28 year that caused that accident has a wife and kids and just got back from Iraq… Moral of the store he has to live what he did every day, i still dont have my dad, he has his family. SO what you learn when someone dies in ur family is that there is plan for each and everyone one of us and that plan will take place when it is going to. I have sense been in the same store as that 28old and yeah it was emonal but I left not saying a word because no matter what i would of said would bring back my dad or take away that day in that guys mind…….We all will go when its time and the people that may have cause it will suffer, and its not up to us to take away another persons freedom because of an accident that is why it is called an accident.. it would have been diffrent if the officer was drinking on the job and driving but he wasnt, he was doing his job and will get his punishment. Keep in mind for the 28 year old he lost his licence for 6mounths and 500 dollar fine. So everyone that is talking sh** on this officer put ur self in his place and you live with the fact that you killed someone doing you job, cause if that was me I wouldnt want to live with those thoughts of how the acciedent happened and the sight of what he saw. Just think about it please cause one day it could happen to u and not when u are thinking it will. And then you will understand both sides cause i can see both side and nether side is a place i would like to be for ether family cause i have been on the one side and wouldnt want to be on the other.

• Deb says:

Yes 88 is very excessive, and the cop should be held responsible.I read a lot of the comments. What I would like to know is what ever happened to you hear sirens and see lights you pull over and stop.

• give me a break! says:

At 88mph that is 129 foot a second! That would cover an entire football field in less than 3 seconds! There was no time to react! The LAW governing emergency vehicles states an emergency vehicle cannot endanger life or property even when in persuit of a suspect. It is the responsibility of the emergency vehicle to do so safely. It is not the publics duty to dive out of the way! It’s like saying its your fault you got shot because you didn’t dodge the bullet! Well the bullet was a 4500 lb cruiser at 129 ft/sec and your saying it was the other drivers fault because he couldn’t get out of the way! No it was the emergency vehicle doing 88 mph and passing people in a 35 mph residential area!

• Caleb Holt says:

everyone is talking about how unacceptable this is but these people are risking their lives for us everyday! yeah he made a stupid decision that had fatal results but don;t we all make stupid decisions

• truthseeker says:

It is not misplaced hatred to authority it is years of well deserved resentment for those who abuse their authority within the police department.

• J.Shum says:

I guess the sign in the background speaks volumes now!

• Nate says:

The officer clearly deserves to go to jail, but I can’t help feeling that some in the area are passionate about this because of a misplaced hatred for authority.

• "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude! says:

It is not about a hatred of authority! It is this do as I say not as I do attitude. Everybody, including myself, has seen police taking advantage of their position. Many, not all, drive carelessly, because they know nobody can do anything about it. I have a relation that is a cop and has no problem expressing this attitude. A cop will not give another cop a ticket even when off duty and they know it. Responding to a call does not give them the right to put the public in danger by responding dangerously! Did you read Bryan’s post? The law states under title 75: an emergency vehicle cannot endanger life or property even when in persuit! It states this is a special privilege not a make your own rules situation! Just because the lights and sirens go on it does not create the right to endanger the general public! The safety of the situation is the emergency vehicles not the unsuspecting public to “Get out of the way”!

• truthseeker says:

Count me in Rich

• Rich Snyder says:

Will there be Public Protest if this criminal isn’t charged? I know I will picket the city hall if there are no charges or even a suspension. I will openly protest if there are no criminal charges filed…Who is with me?

• carla says:

88mph responding for backup is insane. I hardly ever see any officers any where obey speed limits. They get a badge and they go on a power trip.

• truthseeker says:

88 miles an hour UNACCEPTABLE FOR ANY REASON!! Nufsaid

• Jeff says:

So, he should have done the speed limit going to help another officer in need? I disagree, you can tell you never did the job or you would understand.
      How about this, your wife is getting brutally raped inside your home, you call the police and here they come, 25mph because we don’t want to go over the speed limit! You ok with that? When seconds count?

• BigDaddy4 says:

Jeff, who was in need? How about this….If your wife was being raped wouldn’t you just take care of the situation and call 911 for clean-up? 88 MPH on city streets compromises everyones safety and that is why we have city speed limits to obey. This speed was not needed… especially to get another DRUGGER off his corner and a working citizen to the funeral home.

• No excuse for carelessness says:

Well Jeff if this cop was the one responding to your wife being raped what would be your point?! She would still have been raped as he never made it to the scene. Not to mention killing a man in the process and putting everyone in the path at risk. If he would have driven near the speed limit at least he would have made it to the scene. Was killing a man and crashing on the way better than responding perhaps 5 minutes later to the scene. Instead of the rape example: What if it was your wife that was killed by the officer. Would your opinion change? I’m betting it would!

• Tom E says:

Clearly the remark about 88 miles per hour being unacceptable for any reason is wrong….just plain wrong…ask Marty McFly and he will tell you what this guy was trying to do.

• Garnet Red says:

Go to one of the officer memorial sites and check out how many officers die in car accidents.. one car accidents multi-car accidents at fault accidents. that number only reflects the ones who actually die so no telling how many are just injured

• Warren B. says:

Ok, Here’s the deal. Officer Deprenda should not have been going that fast, but there is a culture among many police departments (Williamsport in particular) that there is nothing wrong with driving that fast; there is no repercussion for it. This culture comes from the very top; the Mayor/Public Safety Director!

As a first responder, I can tell you that at 88 mph, Officer Deprenda’s car overtook his siren. In other words, by the time the sound of his siren reached Boomer’s ears, only about a half a second elapsed when the collision occurred. You need at least 75dBA of siren level to be audible through rolled up windows and over the car radio. In reality it might have to be 20dB higher if it’s a boom car, or a Mercedes, or some other vehicle with very good sound isolation. The maximum warning distance you can get with a siren that begins with a 100dBA at 10′ is about 160′.

At 30 MPH (44 ft/sec) closing speed that gives you about 4 seconds of warning for drivers ahead of you. At 60 MPH (88 feet per second) closing speed that only gives you 2 seconds of warning time. That’s just the warning time for someone to begin to hear a siren, they still have to react and try to locate the emergency vehicle and then do something about it.

If the car has a loud audio system so that you needed 90dBA of siren level to be audible inside the car, then you only have about 35′ of distance where the siren is loud enough to be heard inside the car. You’re relying entirely on the flashing lights to warn the kid in the boom car, they likely won’t even hear the air horn. At 30 MPH closing speed, that’s less than 1 second for the driver to hear the siren and react. At 60 MPH closing speed that’s less than 1/2 a second of warning time.

There is no reason to go that fast. Yes, his brother officer was in need of assistance, but driving in a manner without regard for civilian safety or even his own safety does nothing to get him to the scene faster (fact); if he doesn’t make it to the scene safely, he can’t assist his brother. In fact, his action may even make a bad situation worse.

Now, as for Boomer (yes, I knew him and his family); IF he was aware of the approaching cruiser he should have come to a complete stop and waited for the cruiser to pass. Yes, that area of East Third St. has nowhere to “pull over,” but we see it all to often while responding with lights and sirens on city streets, many drivers just continue on their way without pulling over, let alone stopping.

I know that Officer Deprenda is absolutely heartbroken over the results of his actions and that he has made the statement that he wished it were him that didn’t survive. Please do not vilify him. He is an awesomely caring officer who made the poor choice (common occurrence within the department) to not remain in complete control of his vehicle. He had what is referred to as tunnel-vision and was completely focussing on what he is hearing on the radio and formulating a plan of what he will need to do when he gets there. Many things happened that night that we all wish could be taken back.
    Williamsport lost two great people that night! We can’t bring Boomer back, but we can make sure that his death was not in vain. Let’s educate, or reeducate, ALL drivers on the road today.

God Bless Boomer Robinson and Jon Deprenda as well as their families who have been gravely affected by this tragedy.

• While I’m sure that Officer Deprenda has a great deal of remorse for the results of his actions, that does not change the fact that his actions took place, and that he killed an innocent person as a result of his poor decisions. If any one of us had made similar choices with similar results, there would be no question whatsoever about bringing charges, other than what the most severe charge that could be reasonably prosecuted would be. Just because he is remorseful does not mean that his actions were criminal and he should be held to account – perhaps to a greater degree, due to his job and oath to serve and protect, neither of which were honored by his actions.

If I make a poor choice that results in the loss of another life, no matter how remorseful I am, I will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. There is no good reason on earth – only nepotism and favoritism that only begets more official negligence by people in power – to forego full prosecution for the criminal actions that Officer Deprenda committed.

• Rich Snyder says:

Yep and stack up the charges like they would with a regular person too!
        Usually 1 crime can carry many different charges..So I say Stick it to the man!!

• Mister-M says:

At speed the officer is covering the length of a football field in about 2-seconds. Two football fields in about 4-seconds. Three football fields in about 6-seconds.

No one in his way would have appropriate time to react and most certainly, neither would the officer.

Driving that fast on open highway is exhilarating enough. Driving that fast in close quarters with moving machines and people and distracting lights and signs all around is undoubtedly sensory overload.

These are not “professional drivers on a closed course.”

• Ryan says:

Science. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I hope your information gets hammered into the minds of future and present officers behind the wheel so that they’re more aware of the realities of what they’re doing and what they expect the general public to do during an emergency situation.

• Keith says:

I’d like to speak to you. Would you send me your email.

• Scott levan says:

He should be charged for this stripped of his badge

• Jimmy Dean says:

I see a lot of comments about this situation and really some good points and bad points have been made. But clearly 88 mph in that zone was too fast, nobody mentioned the police officer out running his siren, it is possible to do. As a police officer, I do agree that time is very valuable to get to back up a fellow officer. I see mention of going after a dealer that was known in the area, so we are left to speculate this officer may have had tunnel vision and never seen the car he hit, blood pumping like octane, two years is not long enough to be a veteran officer. I am sad for both. Maybe someday Pa will have a real police academy and conduct better back ground checks. I watch the news and that is a headline on all the news channels. Police in Pa somewhere breaking the law. Shame…

• Other reports have noted that the officer who had initially requested backup had reported that the suspect in that case was sufficiently restrained. I understand that this officer wanted to get there to provide the requested backup and may not have even known that the suspect was contained. Nevertheless, this officer well exceeded his official privilege in speeding, even with lights and sirens, on a 35 mph street, and his actions directly caused the death of an innocent driver. That is criminal and ought to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, just as if I had been criminally negligent in speeding and caused death as a direct result of my actions.

• Momof3 says:

Neither party ever wanted anything like this to happen. It’s up to their family and friends to support their families, for both men involved, to get them through this. The officer has to live with his decision, and the other man was lost. It’s a tragedy for both. Have any of you ever made a bad decision? What happened was meant to happen, and everyone else just needs to keep their opinions to themselves and live their own lives because theirs could be cut short at any time just like the victims. Tell me, if it were your life that got cut short, would you want to have been enjoying your life or using that time to judge others? Please, enjoy your life! You only get one!

• I bet there's more! says:

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=20477248 I bet if they handed over the dash cams. We would find this is common!

• Lori Phelps says:

I am not saying the police officer was in the right here but doesn’t the law state that if you hear siren’s and see light’s you pull over to the side of the road until it has passed??? This article says this man turned in front of him but he was also going 88 mph which indeed in a 35 mph zone is wrong unless there was just cause for him to be going that fast in a residential area or even a business area…I am sure there is many reasons why he was speeding and I am sure that they did not tell the public everything!!!.

• um…The article also states that the victim was in the third car that the officer attempted to pass. hmm. Perhaps the VICTIM began turning before seeing the lights…Have you never looked in the rear view at the last minute-startled by a speeding police car approaching??

• den says:

If an officer is responding to an officer who needs help it is common to go lights and sirens at a high rate of speed. Drivers are required to pull to the right and stop until the officer passes. Also I noticed comments that officers will run a red light then shut their lights off. Often times neighboring jurisdictions will call for help but then cancel the units responding thus the officer will then shut his lights off. All non law enforcement people on here making stupid comments should know the job before you give an opinion. Bunch of idiots

• Rich Snyder says:

You can’t pull over to the right where this happened IDIOT Now YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU RUN YOUR MOUTH!!!

• Justin Utter says:

I take it you’re a cop. You’re pretty good at making excuses for them. There’s NO EXCUSE to go that fast in a residential area. What if there would have a pedestrian that he hit? Or your son or daughter? Would you still be making excuses then?

• Mike Undercofler says:

NO law enforcement officer has the right to break the laws that they are sworn to uphold. Misinformed people think that an emergency vehicle has the right to break the law. That is ENTIRELY untrue. They are generally given a free pass, but those lights and sirens are meant as a warning, ASKING for right of way. They are NOT a warrant to break the law.

This Cop should be charged with vehicular manslaughter, as would ANY other person who was driving at a reckless speed, and caused the death of another.

• Trish says:

How can people who are not police officers know the job? The police will not release their policies and procedures… So we are to just accept whatever they wish to do.

• Mister-M says:

We don’t have to. We don’t have to know the job. We don’t have to be police officers or be related to or know someone who is.

It’s a simply matter of logistics and time/speed/distance. 88 in a 35 zone puts more people in danger than those it may save/assist and there is no argument that shall justify doing so. None. That’s a fact.

• Being from a family with some law enforcement (internal affairs in Philly, police chief in a major Philly suburban jurisdiction), I can speak with some authority on the abuses of power by police officers on a daily basis. Yes, if a driver sees lights and sirens they are required to pull over if possible. At that point on 3rd St, it is not possible to do so. Additionally, police officers are not allowed to exceed reasonable speeds, which this officer clearly did. If he is not prosecuted for his misdeeds, it will only serve to further feed the distrust of police in the public sphere, and to further justify in officers’ minds that they are above the law.

Also, officers are not allowed to activate their lights in order to activate the detection devices that are on many stop lights unless they are responding to an active dispatch. Many officers ignore that rule and do this frequently (not all officers, and some do it only occasionally, but many do it frequently). Police officers are also not allowed to text while driving, yet seemingly every time I pull up next to a cop on the road, they are texting or otherwise manipulating their handheld devices, in direct violation of state law. There are many respectable officers who always, or nearly always, adhere to the law and their regulations. There are also many who do neither, and that very real problem needs to be addressed with prosecution, firing, and any other appropriate actions. Officer Deprenda ought to be stripped of his badge and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, just as I would be if I abused my privilege and caused someone’s death.

• Teena says:

Shouldn’t the driver in the vehicle that was behind him be in the witnesses from when it happened? I think it is truly sad for Boomers family. I have seen many cops speeding around without their lights on and have also seen them turn them on to speed through red lights and then turn them off after they were through it. The police will do everything they can to put a spin on this story to cover one of their own though. Such a tragic loss! SMDH

• Joan says:

How IRONIC that the sign in the picture says SLOW DOWN SAVE A LIFE..hmmmm

• James says:

88 in a 35? Must be shots fired officer down, right?

• Thomas Faleshock says:

It seems a lot of police feel they are above the law nowadays. I used to have respect for police officers, but now I just fear them. Of course, this doesn’t apply to all, but you never know which one is that bad apple.

• David Ford says:

88 in a 35? Cop hits car in the back portion of victims car. The law clearly states that of you hit another vehicle in the rear portion, the wreck is your fault. No if ands or buts. However, the cop did have his lights and sirens on but the officer had a civic duty to make sure it was safe to respond at that speed. What was the assistance call for? Was it necessary for the officer to drive that fast? From the information the public has been given, this wreck is the cops fault.
    I’ve seen cops in my town use lights and sirens to get to dunkin donuts. Really did happen. But we should not judge until all the information comes out.

• Mister-M says:

It’s a tragedy all the way around, but there are, in fact, speeds at which your lights and sirens cannot adequately compensate for the distance covered at such speeds.

I’m certainly not against police officers rushing to the scene of a crisis… but I think departments all over the country have to take a look at a simple mathematical calculation of time/speed/distance.

If the emergency to which he’s responding is a mere mile away, the difference between 80 and 60 about 20 seconds. The lives put in danger along the way in a residential area marked 35 are innumerable. When you factor in necessary pauses/slow downs/obstacles, that time difference will typically grow smaller, not longer.

That officer’s ability to react to mistakes (his own or others) is severely compromised at 88 miles an hour in such an area.

Over short distances, incredibly excessive speeds do not save much time while at the same time significantly increasing the dangers posed to the public.

• tiffany d says:

I agree. The 20 second arrival difference when going 80 or 60nph isnt enough to justify putting so many people in harms way. If it was officer down or shots fired, 20 seconds wouldnt save a life or lose it.

• Well said Mister-M. No further questions…

• Mister-M says:

It’s the same lesson I give my neighbors out here in my rural part of town. There’s a road from our neighborhood into town that is well-patrolled and it’s 10-12 miles distance. I’ve explained to those who have previously gotten very expensive tickets that the difference between doing the speed limit (55) and what is commonly done (70) is about 1-minute between the two points. It’s just not worth it to speed over such a short distance when the time savings is negligible and the risk of getting several hundreds of dollars worth of ticket, points on your license, and raised insurance rates is simply not worth it… set your cruise control and spend the extra minute or two driving into town… the scenery is beautiful enough that it will be worth it.

Applying it in this situation is equally sensible and there is simply no argument to the contrary… not for murder, not for rape, not for burglary, not for “shots fired officer down.” Not 88 in a 35 residential area. The time savings is negligible and SO MANY MORE PEOPLE ARE PUT IN DANGER, including another officer.

• Ellen says:

Your comments make more sense than any other comment I’ve read so far. You have made the most sense of all. Well said sir!

• jimmy says:

Police standing up for police. What a shocker. They are all saints. No one should be traveling that fast on a road. And he’s a trained professional? Shame on you. I use to work with boomer. He was a great guy. And his life was taken by an irresponsible “policeman”

• Tanyaa says:

If you were in a life or death situation or something happened to your loved one and needed the police would you want the officer to only go 35 mph? If there was an emergency everyone of you people bitching and putting the cops down would throw a worse fit if they didnt get there immediately. Think before you speak. Its common sense. Im sad someone was killed but if they didnt get the other guy many ppl could have doed from the heroin like has been happening lately. Its sad all around but cops and all emergency personnel need to get where theyre going quick to save lives thats why the lights and sirens.

• les says:

i get going fast but 88 in a 35 in a residential area is a bit fast did he get there any faster no now he killed someone and he has to live w that the rest of his life

• David says:

yes they need to get there but they still need to aproch in a safe manner have u ever notice when a fire truck or ambulance goes thru a light or stop sign they slow down to make sure path is clear if he was passing three cars then he needed to do the aproaite speed to ensure the safty of the public also

• Daryn Bogart says:

Doing 88 in a 35 to catch some scumbag drug dealer is unforgivable.

Unless it was shots-fired officer assistance needed, this cop had no business doing 88. Emergency responders are still required to stop at red lights, etc even with the lights and sirens going to ensure the safety of everyone around them on the way to the call.
      Nobody is saying the officer meant to hurt anyone, but this IS wreckless endangerment and he will/should be charged with involuntary vehicular manslaughter.

• Garnet Red says:

Check how many officers are injured or killed in car accidents (as well as the other drivers they injure and kill) and then tell me what good they would be if you needed them to show up. Not much good to ANYONE crashed on the side of the road.

• Tammy Duffy says:

I think all opinions should be held until a full and complete investigation is done. Then you all may pass judgement or give your opinions as I would also. As of yet with little details no one should voice theirs until all the facts are on the table be it right or wrong. We are all human.

• Sad Situation says:

That’s sad! I’ve already had a Wilkes Barre cop almost plow into me… and I was paying attention, luckily. Had I had my music on or something, I may not of been so lucky. I had the green light to make a left and he came flying down the hill and almost hit me. He turned his lights on at the last minute, but was already driving fast trying to go through the intersection. Cops aren’t always right, I mean, they are humans too!

• John says:

charge the cop with involuntary manslaughter, just like any other citizen would of been charged with. blue costumes and shiny badges dont grant extra rights

• Gid says:

Actually the suits and badges do come with extra rights. Officers have the right to search people, detain people, issue fines, use physical force, and, yes, not adhere to standard traffic laws. The question is whether or not these rights were abused. I don’t know in this case. Perhaps the officer in question was reckless. I doubt, however, that there was any malicious intent. It also seems possible that the other driver may have been at fault as well, for turning left when he should have allowed the cop to pass. I don’t know yet, but I think all you crusaders should calm down and realize that this was a complex accident born of simple human error. There are no villains here.

• If I’m speeding, hit a car and kill the driver, I am charged with vehicular manslaughter, regardless of my intent. Even if I got out of my car and performed whatever medical procedures necessary if I were skilled to do so, if I cause someone bodily harm or death as a result of my recklessness, I am charged. He should be, too. No ifs, ands, or buts about it just because he gets to play cops and robbers in real life.

• Gid says:

Yeah, and if you put someone in handcuffs and stuffed them in the back of your car you’d be charged with kidnapping. Whether you like it or not, police operate under a different set of rules designed for extraordinary circumstances. Again I say, the matter in question is whether or not the officer abused his authority to operate under those rules. I would merely suggest that you reserve judgment at this point in the investigation.

• Jeff Coberly says:

I feel that the officer should face the same charges we would have to. 50 mph over the speed limit is a little excessive and therefore the officers license should be suspended if not revoked, he should be made to face charges for vehicular manslaughter, and made to do the time to show that no one is above the law and also use him as an example for other police agencies to follow. Yes I understand they are hear to serve and protect but that speed through that area….yes he was asking for trouble…..Odds are the officer if anything happens will get a slap on the wrist and go on his way

• tiffany says:

I agree he deserves the manslaughter charge like anyone else in our area. he is no different and should be punished like any normal person. he killed a man what to think as they read the truth as it comes out my prayers are with them and i hope they get justice.

• Is one life more valuable says:

88mph in a 35 zone. That is in same! He created a deadly hazard and put everyone in the vacinity in danger. Being a cop does not give one the right to endanger the public whether responding to a call or not. He has to use judgement and respond in a way that does not endanger the public. The logic of justifying him responding in such a fashion stating it may be someones child in danger does not justify his action! What about the fact that he KILLED SOMEONES CHILD by obviously driving out of control. If the other officer was in trouble at least driving more responsibly would have meant he would have made it to the scene to render assistance. Who did this situation help? If it was your relative killed you would not have the same opinion!

• Poor guy says:

That’s real said……..and to find out that the situation was being handled with the need for him to be traveling that fast. In my opinion, FIRE THE COP! By the time that the poor person’s family member’s gets done with the Williamsport police department’s in court, the city will not have any money left to pay their officers! I live on a back road some 40 miles away from Williamsport, over the summer on a nice day watched a marked Williamsport city police car drive by my house over 65 mph (with no lights or siren on) in a posted 30 mph zone? Must be nice to just joy ride sometimes!

• Victoria says:

It’s alarming that he was going so fast. but also that is why when you hear and see emergency vehicles you get out of the way safely. not paying attention can lead to incident like this happening. he was trying to do his job while a motorist did not pay attention. Please do a safe speed while responding to a report. not making it to a call because you are involved in one doesn’t help anyone.. also please look out for emergency vehicles

• Victoria says:

Also isn’t it ironic that it happens infront of a slow down sign

• A motorist says:

If he was 3 car lengths ahead like the article stated then I guess him not seeing the emergency vehicle could and probably does explain a lot HUH? Oh and not to mention on that part of that street the roads are riddled with blind spots!!!

• Carrie says:

Perhaps you aren’t familiar with that area, but there isn’t anywhere to pull over in that area. It was definitely not safe for anyone, police officer or not, to drive that fast on that road. That cop should be charged the same way you or I would be charged. I’d love to be picked for that jury!

• not a police officer says:

You people have no idea what you are talking about. He did nothing different than any other cop has done in the situation. The fact is , he was responding to an officer needs assistance call that involved a drug dealer that was arrested 3 days before for dealing heroin. He was fleeing an officer and was a known dealer, the other officer caused him to wreck and had him at gun point. Let’s see, drug dealer possibly armed and a lone officer, not good odds. It truly is a shame that a man was killed, but he did make an illegal left turn in front of a patrol car with lights and sirens on. This poor patrollman has to live with the fact he is responsible for the death of someone’s son, brother and dad. You also need to know that he put his own life in jeopardy to make your stay in Williamsport is a safe one. My prayers are with both the man who lost his life and the officer that was just trying to make you safe. Have a heart and do your homework before you run your mouth.

• Tom Eberlin says:

A man died. The officer driving at way to high of a speed never made it to assists the the other officer so what good did it do be going 90 miles and hour in downtown Williamsport?

• The officer needs assistance call was cancelled when that suspect was detained, and this officer still chose to put dozens of innocents at risk with his unforgivably stupid choice of driving tactics. No excuse is a good excuse for driving that fast in that spot, lights and sirens or not. It’s a horrible injustice that the police feel that they should be able to do this, and even more of an injustice that someone died as a result of the officer’s absurd actions. It will be an absolute tragedy and failure of the system is he is not charged to the fullest extent of the law.

• Garnet Red says:

“Let’s see, drug dealer possibly armed and a lone officer, not good odds.”

so what are you saying? Cops are only competent to defend themselves against unarmed people and kids with scissors?? Therefore another cop has to drive like a maniac putting lives at risk to assist him?

• ShAwna says:

Not sure you can blame the other drivers…check out where the accident happened…no where to get over the right side which is probably why the cop was passing on the left.

• No excuse says:

Where was the driver killed going to go when a car hits you doing 88mph. The poor soul that got hit didn’t even have time to react No I disagree. Responding to a call is not a reason to put the public in danger. Are you saying anyone in the area should have ran for their safety. NO the safety of the public comes first! And when it doesn’t something like this happens. Sorry no excuse. If the driver was your son or daughter or spouse would you feel the same way?????

• carl says:

No that was my friend that was killed he was on his way to work goin to dennys he didnt turn into the cops way its a str8 shot from 3rd to the strip..88mph is way way to fast for intown drivin plain and simple my friend is.gone cause the poli
    ce officer cant drive

• wilson says:

Hi Carl sorry for your lost, my aunt lost her friend too… Boomer was a good man!!! You are absolutely right, he didn’t turn, he was going straight. To the guy “poor guy” that posted before you, he’s correct also. I hope the Robinson’s sue the blood out of the williamsprt worthless police dept. Believe me I myself am going to do everything I can to ensure that that rookie cop whom lacks common sense & is trying to make a name for himself on a force that can cause problems & even death can’t solve any of the murders in Williamsport. It’s a shame that these demons on the police force are already trying to play cover up, but truth be told the radio call told responding officers to stop pursuit, they weren’t needed, so this worthless 2year vet killed someone for nothing because he thought he was part of the fast & furious. He better get charged for vehicular manslaughter & get fired. We will see what the city’s mindless mayor is gonna do. He better do right by that family. 88mph in a 35mph zone is intolerable by anyone!! I hope the family finds a lawyer that will get the truth out… there wasn’t another car, that stupid rookie hit boomers car & you can read that in the Williamsburg Sun Gazette. Liars are always brought tothe light. Rip James, God will make sure justice prevails!!

• donna starr says:

just all together sad I just hope a lesson can be learned from what happened.

• My favorite is when a cop is stopped at a light or a stop sign, gets impatient, then puts on his lights, go threw the intersection, then shuts his lights off and goes about his business …… Most local cops are complete hypocrites …….. I can’t remember the last time i DIDN’T see a cop on the phone while he/she was driving !!!!!!

• Rick Blase says:

That officer was going 88 mph to assist another officer who no longer needed his assistance. I mean, come on people, if this cop was going that fast, how quick can someone going 35 get out of his way?????!!!
    This cop should be ashamed of himself!!

• I guess he had to get Back to the Future !!!!!!!

• jason says:

This is a double edged sword. When we have police speeding to assist another officer or to help citizens that are in need unfortunately things like this happen. If we limit how fast police are allowed to drive or put governors on their cars than we will have people complaining that they are not responding fast enough. It’s sad and unfortunate that this man lost his life. Lets not forget though that this officer was also putting his life on the line to assist others.

• No amount of reasoning can justify 88 in a 35 mph residential zone with no room for traffic to pull over to get out of the officer’s way. None. The officer is a criminal and ought to be charged with vehicular manslaughter, among other things. There is no justification for anything less.

• Common Sense says:

Hey Slow Down…are you an idiot or illiterate or both? READ: “Troopers who investigated the January 12 crash say Officer Deprenda was responding to help another officer with his lights and sirens on.” Do you know WHY he was responding? No? Perhaps if it was such an emergency, he should have taken his time and done 35mph the whole way, according to your “logic.” Maybe a child’s life was at stake…given your theory on how “things should be,” then if that child died, THAT would be your issue. Lights and sirens were on. That means “GET THE F OUT OF THE WAY.” Sad what happened, but inattentive drivers with the radio too loud, texting/talking on the phone, drunk/high or just plain not paying attention to their surroundings will have this happen. Perhaps people should pay more attention to how they operate their motor vehicles, be responsible for their actions, know their surroundings at all times, or take the bus and not be so quick to point the finger at police or some other scapegoat immediately because its convienient.

• Jake says:

88 in a 35 zone. There is absolutely no need to be doing that speed in a commercial or residential area. Let alone be passing three cars too. How many police officers does it take to pull someone over? Obviously, more than one in Williamsport. That poor guy wouldn’t have had time to react to someone passing him at that speed. At 88 m.p.h. a vehicle is moving 129.06 feet per second or 7,744 feet per minute. That is 1.47 miles for every minute. Is the life of a innocent bystander really worth it? The officer obviously never made it to the call. Sirens or not, one would not have the time to react to someone driving that speed on I180 let alone a street in town.

• Art says:

Common sense. You are a moron. No one at no time should be driving nearly 90 mph in downtown Williamsport.

• Keith says:

I couldn’t agree with Art any more than I do. Too many officers think that they are above the law especially ones under 5 years of service. In fact there are many times the actions of officers are not warrented. The shield states “to protect and serve” Notice protect was first. This officer clearly wasnt thinking of protecting the people on his way to serve as a backup.

• Rich Snyder says:

Yes BUT it WASN’T someone’s child dying. It was to assist another officer….Nuff said!

• Tammy says:

whether the responding call was for me or my child. i would never want an officer to get killed or kill an innocent person because the officer was not getting there safely…now look ..the officer never made it there shows to be safe than sorry and now there is a death caused by it. I think the officer should be terminated and charged even though he was responding to a call supposedly. Reguardless of any reasons or excuses it was vehicular homicide for his failure to use caution. my prayers and thoughts go out to the deceased family and friends. also to the officer who must live with his stupidity of failing to drive to the scene with saftey and caution of innocent people around. He caused more problems than protecting from harm! nuff said. May God forgive him.

• whatever says:

Do u seriously think u will get the full truth???? Especially with state doing the investigation….cut me a break!!!!! U will hear what they want u to hear…..by the way traveling east on east third street yeah good luck getting out of the way of anything should have went on the Blvd at least there is room to pull over!!!!

• Williamsport’s Finest and dumbest.

• No amount of reasoning – not a child’s life in danger, not a heroin dealer resisting arrest, not a house fire… none of which were the case, by the way – can justify this officer so flagrantly speeding in a residential zone where traffic had no opportunity to pull off. There is no situation which justifies the dozens of lives the officer put at risk with his absurdly irresponsible actions. Attempting to justify the officer’s actions only serves to enable the cops to continue and increase their abuses.

• Doc Brown says:

Good thing he didn’t go back to Nov. 5, 1955. Who knows what kind of damage he’d do to history.

• Nick Munyat says:

If he isn’t charged with vehicular homicide (along with a host of related charges), then there is no justice in this.

• Tony Botteon says:

The sign in the background makes it ironic.

• Slow Down! says:

He’s lucky he did not hit a child! Max speed in pa is 65. What makes these cops think its OK to go that fast. I live in Muncy and its nothing for our cops to go fast as well. Just flying by passing cars as they were sitting still. Perhaps we need a cap on their speeds?