Northumberland County Sheriff is Resigning

Posted on: 9:20 pm, January 8, 2014, by , updated on: 10:21pm, January 8, 2014

The sheriff of Northumberland County made an abrupt announcement Wednesday saying he is resigning his elected position before the end of the month.

Sheriff Chad Reiner said he is leaving the job because of a nearly 50% cut in his salary.

It was just last September that Northumberland County Sheriff Chad Reiner told Newswatch 16 he was considering not seeking re-election when his term ends in a couple of years due to a looming pay cut.

Now Sheriff Reiner said he will resign effective at noon on January 24.

In a statement, Sheriff Reiner said:

“It’s with great sadness that I tender my resignation as sheriff of Northumberland county, effective 12 noon January 24 2014. The decision to leave as your sheriff is one of both regret and necessity. Recent decisions made by certain county commissioners have forced me to reevaluate my career on a long term basis. I have an obligation to obtain a salary capable of sustaining my family. As much as I love being your sheriff, family will always come first. As your sheriff it has been thoroughly enjoyable serving you, and it has been humbling to have received the support you have given. I’d like to thank my family for their continued love and support throughout my three elections as sheriff. Most importantly I want to thank the sheriff’s deputies and administrative staff for their loyalty, dedication and hard work. Their individual and collective efforts have been and remain critical to the success of the sheriff’s office. Thank you for the opportunity to serve as you Northumberland County sheriff.”

Last year, two of the three county commissioners, Vinny Clausi and Stephen Bridy cut the salaries of eight row officers, including sheriff by nearly 50% as a cost saving effort.

In Sunbury, people said the sheriff has a right to seek a job that pays what his family needs.

“Absolutely I can totally understand that, with the high price of everything that`s going up, it’s not ever going down, you have to support your family, I totally understand,” said Michelle Hart.

The sheriff makes close to $54,000 but starting in 2016 that income will be slashed to $31,000.

“Can you blame him? He`s taking a cut in pay, I couldn`t do it,” said Karen Stahl.

Commissioners Clausi and Bridy said in a statement:

“Blaming the pay cut is disingenuous since the sheriff`s salary reduction won’t take effect until 2016. The sheriff could have continued working for the next two years with no drop in pay and then not seek re-election. However we wish him well in the future.”

“These are tough times for everybody, and I see the county commissioners’ position and I certainly understand the sheriff’s,” said Bob Cole, “but he has to look out for himself and his family and I understand that.”

Sheriff Reiner said his chief deputy will serve as acting sheriff.

Commissioner Bridy said a new sheriff will have to be appointed by the governor.

• Joseph Gwaisditus says:

What a discrace to go after the Sheriffs pay. Look around we are quickly loosing the war on crime. To the people who think that he makes too much: Every administrator in PAs 512 or so School Districts makes more (and many into 6 figures) why don’t we cut their salaries? I think the County Sheriff is at least as important a position as a Middle School Principal!! With all the priorities we put on education we better start putting the same priorities on the war on crime and keeping quality law enforcement people or we are going to be in trouble fast! With the increase in crime in our area we can’t afford to start chopping at law enforcement. Why don’t the commissioners cut their pay?

• Carol says:

Didn’t anyone else see this coming? Reiner is an intelligent, first-rate man doing a dangerous job in a city that struggles with many issues. Sunbury needs an intelligent, first-rate man in that position. Who is going to step up with those qualities for a second-rate salary?!!

• momszoo1 says:

Im reading some of these negative comments. If it was me I would have started looking for another job asap also. Sounds like he found one. My husband was forced to take a 59% pay cut – Unemployment. We lost everything and was forced to file bankruptcy ! Im glad he was able to find another job. My husband was not that lucky as we didn’t have notice of him loosing his job. To the people complaining that $31,000.00 is fair money, NOT for his job it is not!

• Sundown says:

“Last year, two of the three county commissioners, Vinny Clausi and Stephen Bridy cut the salaries of eight row officers, including sheriff by nearly 50% as a cost saving effort.” You idiots! you make cuts in law enforcement? how about YOU take 50% pay cuts for sitting on your asses! and for the rest of you “brilliant commentators” who think he was making TOO much? Seriously! Law enforcement is no cakewalk, they put their lives on line for YOUR miserable ungrateful butts everyday…with crime on the rise in our area and surrounding communities this is the stupidest mover EVER to start a new year..

• Chase R says:

I agree, one for all, all for one…Commissioners should take a 50% pay cut as well then. That won’t happen in fear of Bridy having to cut his alcohol bill in half. Such a shame to cut pay on those trying to serve and protect. Shame on Bridy and another bad decision made by people who shouldn’t be in the seat to make those decisions.

• Larry Dallas says:

Those two clowns have the audacity to suggest the sheriff’s comments are anything but sincere? I don’t trust either of them as far as I could throw them. I guess they figured they would keep him on, then once his pay is cut he can scramble for a new job. I am willing to bet he found his new, decent paying, job and he has to take it now…not at the counties convenience. It’s bad enough they caused this to happen, but then they call his character into question. You couldn’t pay me enough to work under those two imbeciles.

• ed backes says:

Sad when we look around and see everywhere there seems to be money shortages and not enough money to hold on to quality people in authoritive positions. i ‘d shake the mans hand and respect his decision. Family and supporting yourfamily is first .

• ed kurtz says:

ed kurtz- the sherrif made the right move, which is to support his family. i totally support him
    turtl

• P says:

I believe him. Granted it doesn’t take place until 2016, but you can’t wait until then to look for another job. I am assuming he started the job search and has found one that will support his family but requires him to step down now.

• Bernadette says:

Cut to $31,000. Awe. poor boy. Most of Northumberland county barely makes that.