Hunter Bags 772-pound Black Bear in Lackawanna County

Posted on: 6:50 pm, November 26, 2013, by

COVINGTON TOWNSHIP–*Disclaimer: We want to warn you, some of the video in this story may be upsetting to some viewers.*

Today marked the third day of rifle season for hunters looking to bag a bear this season.

One hunter in Lackawanna County got his this week… a black bear weighing almost 800 pounds.

“I couldn’t believe how big it was. It’s big,” Daniel Beavers of Covington Township said.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission estimates the male black bear weighed 772 pounds.

So far it’s the largest bear taken in Pennsylvania this season, and it was shot near Daleville in Lackawanna County.

“I wasn’t even going to go hunting. First drive of the morning he just came right out to me and I shot him,” Beavers said.

Beavers said the skull of the bear will be measured to see if it breaks a world record.

Meanwhile in Monroe County… we found Edward Nesfeder getting his bear weighed at a station near Tobyhanna.

He says this is his first bear after decades of hunting.

“It’s pretty exciting. It’s something you don’t expect. I’ve seen other ones in the woods but this is the first one that came close enough,” Edward Nesfeder of Allentown said.

Spotting a bear this season hasn’t been in everyone’s favor.

David Shupe and his brother Phillip haven’t had much luck.

“You know we’ve done our hunting in our younger days and now we’re getting to the point where we like being in the woods for excercise. I like seeing the game, if I can see some,” David Shupe of Tionesta said.

Some hunters we talked to say the best time to hit the woods to go hunting for bear is when there is lots of snow on the ground.

They say the white stuff really helps when it comes to looking to bear tracks in the woods.

“Yeah this is the best time of weather to be out hunting because at least you can see some tracks in the woods of what’s going on and what’s moving around,” Phillip Shupe of Levittown said.

Officials with the Pennsylvania Game Commission say its been a busy few days at the bear check in station near Tobyhanna.

They expect it to stay that way until the end of the season.

“I think we’ll do well. With the bear season running through the deer season, I think hunters will have ample opportunity to harvest a Pennsylvania black bear,” Ryan Gildea, wildlife conservation officer with the Pennsylvania Game Commission said.

• What’s սp, I desire to subscribe for this website to take latesat updates, therefore where cann i do it
    please assist.

• jason wunderlich says:

just 2 give u heads up dont count me out i shot 552lb in potter 2013 n he at taxidermist now gettin skull ready for u gc had tattoo in mouth because his head was so big. So time will tell i c ur pictures n i think my head was bigger.either way we both got booners or pope n young trophies of a lifetime.

• twistedrico says:

This hunter and anyone that applauds this cruel act should be ashamed of themselves.

• Barry kybird says:

Lackawanna, we’ve seen a pic of te biggest bear ever killed in the USA, also in the pic is Americas BIGGEST C – - -
    You demented animal murdering community !!.

• Janice Decker says:

So…that big magestic creature was killed WHY?

• Janice — fortunately, the answer is easy. It was killed because a certain number of bears need to be killed every year. It doesn’t matter how big or majestic (or cute or cuddly) it is. In terms of keeping bears in balance with their habitat, with other species, and to minimize conflict with humans, all bears are the same. In wildlife management, the whole population matters more than the individual.

• Janice Decker says:

But Steve, this one was exceptionally magnificent. One look at the photo and it is no surprise the skull size might indeed be a world record. If it was smaller perhaps, or more average, we wouldn’t be discussing it here because it would not have been newsworthy enough to make the page. If only it was exempt from the hunting competition to live and get even bigger! Stores are full of other kinds of meat, fish, and protein powders. So I ask again, this majestic animal was killed WHY? We know the answers: for vain pursuits, bragging rights, trophy mounts, oh yes let’s not forget the meat (a bear that size, you’d be eating meat ’til the cows come home.) Sorry I just can’t be the kind of person to congratulate a hunter on this kill or say “atta boy!” The girly-girl that I am, upon seeing the carcass, would say, “Oh sorry for your loss!”

• Jane, you’re saying that size is just as important to you as it is to those who congratulate the hunter. But why does it matter to those against the kill whether the bear was big or small? Other hunters who have killed much smaller bears are criticized for their actions, too. Maybe even you would be critical and would say things such as,”Oh, the bear was so cute — why kill it?” Or, “That big bad hunter couldn’t even let the bear grow up!” Don’t you see that people will oppose the hunter no matter what he shoots? Don’t you see that he can’t win with that kind of opposition?

The point is, any criticism of the killing of a bear based on size, big or small, is a purely subjective opinion which has no place in the legal, ethical, or game management discussions of this.

What would we be saying if the hunter never pulled the trigger on that bear? The answer is — nothing. You wouldn’t know about it. I wouldn’t know about it. Even the hunter wouldn’t know about it. Even if he saw the bear and didn’t shoot it, all he would know is that he saw a pretty big bear. Nobody in this discussion would know anything. Now, we know that a hunter killed a giant bear, and that more giant bears are out there, and that some of the little bears out there will grow up to rival this bear in size. In other words, this huge bear will be replaced. It’s the story of game management, and the cycle of life.

• So, Janice, you’re saying the hunter should say, “Whew! That’s a big un! Maybe the biggest in the world! Wouldn’t be right to kill that one. I probably shouldn’t pull the trigger on that thing and wait for one that I’m sure isn’t record size.”

No one has the skills to make that judgment. A bear might have a big old fat head, but a small skull. Or a 400 pound bear might be thin, but have a big skeletal structure. What you’re suggesting isn’t possible under the hunting conditions we have in Pennsylvania.

Now, judging size over a bait pile, an experienced hunter who has killed lots of bears is often able to judge what is called trophy quality. He looks at the position of the bear’s ears and their size relative to the bear’s head. He looks for a crease down the forehead of the bear. He may even look at the head relative to body size. He looks for both width and length of the bear’s head while recognizing that once the skin, fat and muscle are gone, the bone will appear much smaller.

So no, what you’re suggesting is possible only in certain situations where an observation can be made over a period of time by a highly experienced hunter who has killed lots and lots of bears.

• Janice Decker says:

Yes, Steve, your first paragraph in your second retort to me, YES, that’s exactly what my little girly-girl mind is thinking, that the hunter would be awed and humiliated by the majesty of the animal, he would drop his sight (gun) and let it go, just like that scene in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen when Sean Connery’s character Allan Quatermain did just that! (In reality, if one hunter didn’t get this Jumbo bear, I realize someone else would have – so letting it go wouldn’t have secured it’s safety.) And it’s OK if you call me Jane. I like the way you write.

• kyle says:

America is full of weak non understanding people. Hunting is our right aas AMERICAN citizens. The way of hunting the food that we put in our freezers can’t be explained to people who would rather buy,pay for,and ignore the seriously inhumane way ur beef,chicken,and pork is processed and put on the store shelf for the modern human…..

• Frank says:

Attaboy John well said.

• john says:

this is what someone posted on my wife’s facebook page when she posted a picture fo her first buck that she shot and was very proud of and someone slammed her for it. And I think it explains things pretty well. Please keep in mind that this is on facebook so it refers to people who communicate with you as “friends”.

I have to share with you what one of my facebook friends posted this week… I think it is perfectly said… “I have in the last few days noticed a handful of FB posts complaining of all the “dead deer pics” in their news feed. I am guilty as charged of these pictures this year, in years past, and will probably continue to do such. Yes, I understand it’s not your typical FB post of someone’s morning pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks, a friend’s selfie in their car, or even a family pic. But before you bemoan a picture of a dead animal you should reconsider what that means to “your friend”. I highlight the fact that it’s your friend because typically those posts wouldnt show up if you werent in fact friends with them. That being said, I think I can speak for a large majority of hunters when I say that these pictures mean more to them than meets the eye.

A pic of a deer to them isnt just a picture of a dead animal. It represents hours, weeks, and sometimes months of hard work and preparation. It represents hours of practice and even a lot of luck. It may also represent a shared tradition that their father or grandfather may have passed down to them and they too may pass on to their children. Hunting is something that people have done across the world as long as you care to look back and will likely continue for many years to come.

Considering the vast majority of my friends grew up in PA and most likely yours did as well it’s undeniable hunting is a prevalent activity in this state. What irritates me the most are those that attempt to take the moral high ground and pretend they are somehow superior by not hunting. I’m not saying everyone should go out and kill every animal they eat but to completely remove yourself from the process by buying every chicken, steak, and other meat at the grocery store doesnt make one morally superior or put you in a higher class. Hunting is an extremely complex topic and I don’t wish to mention any more than what I have already. Just take a second thought before you criticize an activity that may be important part of your friend and their family’s life. Good luck to all those still out there, getting their hands dirty, and spending time in the outdoors!”

….So although we don’t know all of you and aren’t friends with you who have differing opinions, it is our business what choose to be proud of like I said before, this is our hobby, AND it is NONE of your business, how we chose to express our pride in what we do. You have your hobbies, food preferences and means of getting food or whatever you want to call it and so do we, it is NONE of your concern. If you don’t like it Don’t look at the pictures. AND I do 100%, agree with what this person said and vegans or animal lovers or whatever your want to call yourself (by the way i am an animal lover thats why i have a dog) you do feel like you should be put on a pedestal to make yourselves feel superior. Why is that? Because that sure is how you act and present yourself! Get over it and mind your own business. Some people don’t have the money or the time to be vegens because that can be a very expensive diet to live by. FOR SOME people it can actually be the only means of putting food on their table!!

• Rich says:

FYI only male black bear get that big! Fn know it all tree huggers. Learn about the species before you challenge hunters. I got some meat for you to eat.

• Jason says:

Great job! A trophy of a lifetime!!!!

• george grund says:

Man is always so proud of killing well I’m I for one am not proud of you. I think we as people are idiots for killing and cutting down tress and so forth. It isn’t obvious that we’re destroying the planet? Wow what an idiot.

• Calling someone an idiot says more about you than it does about him. Most scientists would tell you that we are omniverous creatures. Most nutritionists would tell you meat from wild creatures is better for us than meat from domestic creatures. And I could go on and on but the bottom line is that you don’t hunt, think none should, and think you are so much smarter than the rest of us that we should either accept your value judgements as fact or else suffer your verbal abuse.

• dan beavers says:

to bad i didnt see this earlier,i would have let you know i also own a logging company.

• Bennett says:

The woods feel more special knowing that great bear lives. The woods are less special now.

• Karen says:

Exactly! How could you be tracking this special creature for years and then when you come face to face with it, shoot and kill it? I don’t (and will never) understand this mentality! I find it very sad. I hope it wasn’t a mother with cubs who will now starve to death.

• Janice Decker says:

If this was Facebook, I would click the “like” icon. That’s it in a nutshell.

• Jane, who’s to say how “special” the woods are? The truth is that bears of this size are not gone. The woods are special because they will produce more bears of this magnificent size.

• Janice — sorry, I called you “Jane” in both my responses. I’m on a new computer and I’m having trouble getting a feel for this keyboard, plus, I keep getting pop-ups that interrupt my keystrokes.

• The woods are special and always will be. The flora, fauna, the water, the wind, all are part of the total picture. As that particular bear was a part of the wonder of the forests. But so was the predator/hunter who got him.

• Jeremy says:

Awesome accomplisment Congrats!! Harvested my First one two years ago 218lbs 12 years old. Its something I’ll remember forever. And so will the people that hunt with me.

• John says:

Congratulations Buddy,
    Beautiful Bear!!! To those who don’t like it, Keep your opinions to yourself, we have our hobbies and diet preferences just like you do. Build a bridge and get over it. If you don’t like it then don’t look at the picture or switch the channel on the TV. Next time you hit a deer with your car and it gets totaled, just remember “Wow, maybe if someone had shot this deer, I wouldn’t have ended up over the side of a mountain.” Just saying, we don’t pick on you because of your preferences, so don’t do it to us either…like I said, build a bridge and GET OVER IT!!!!

• Rebecca says:

Eating other animals stops being a personal preference when you take away the rights of anotherso you can have a snack or a decoration. A preference doesn’t hurt anyone. Your preference kills someone. No animals are not things. Animals are someones. To kill them for your own pleasure is speciesist. My preference may be to be rich. But I don’t go around robbing other people to serve my preference. Same concept. I would not care if what anyone did if no one else got hurt. Eating animals also destroys the environment and uses 1000s of times the water and grain to produce one lb of food. Therefore, when you eat meat you are destroying the environment we all share and contributing to world hunger. Don’t believe me? Look up what the United Nations has to say on this topic. Bottom line. Eat meat and screw a whole lot of people and animals. Meat = greed = murder.

• Most here feel animals are not ‘someones’ and being a ‘specisist’ is a concept so alien I wonder whether you are just pulling our legs. Since I refute your efforts to tell me how to live, I an not arrogant enough to tell you how to live, but most medical opinion today thinks that buying organic does not really benefit anyone and is in fact throwing money away,

• Rebecca says:

You could feed an entire village in Africa with the grain and water it takes to produce one burger! How is this a preference?

• john says:

all these people on here who complain about someone harvesting an animal that yes, they might go and use it as a “decoration” in there home as someone had mentioned, but also use the meat as a means of feeding their families. think about this. us hunters are not senselessly killing an animal and leaving it lay. we are using the meat and trust someone who does their own butchering, does not let a single piece of meat go to waste. I was taught growing up to not shoot and kill animal that you did not intend on eating. (by the way groundhogs make excellent chili). yet these same people who protest hunting animals will kill a fly (an animal), a bee, or want a snake in their yards killed because it annoys them or scares them and let it lay where they killed it. whose the hypocrite here?

• Rebecca says:

John. I am not saying that hunters are bad people. My family hunted for generations. I am saying that killing is bad. No I do not kill anything, snakes, bees, etc. I am vegan and Buddhist. Killing ANY sentient being is contrary to my values. So no I am not hypocritical. I don’t kill anythin, I rescue animals, and my work is helping people as much as possible ie. socihal justice. I should not have called the huntera murderer. That was my anger speaking. I do believe it to be murder. That does not mean that the hunter is a bad person. I understand feeding ones family. I just think it would be better for all of us if we all reconsidered what we feed our families. I no longer have a family. They are all dead from heart disease caused by eating too much meat. There is no cholesterol in plants. Only animal products contain cholesterol. My own cholesterol dropped 81 points in 3 months after I became vegan. I lost a bunch of weight. My health has improved significantly. And I have saved 150 animals and thousands of gallons of water, and avoided a bunch of pollution in the 8 months since becoming vegan.

• Rebecca says:

18 months.

• Billy says:

Rebecca I love animals, delicious.

• lsw says:

I am do not hunt myself but have no isues with those who do, And hunters as a group have likely done more for wildlife conservation and habitat preservation than any organization in the country.

• djj58844 says:

and for all u jerks one of my dogs is basically disabled and nothing can be done for her joints but she loves life and still eats and drinks just cant get up.to go.to the bathroom and shes 110.lbs and i.carry.her dwn steps outside to crap so dnt evet say hunters dnt care about animals..my dogs r my life..pick your batles and if u dnt hunt then shut up cuz half the products in ur household are tested on innocent animals..by the way i.paid and adopted two dogs from spca whowould be dead without me

• Rebecca says:

I am glad you treat your dogs well. Why not extend the same compassion to all animals? All animals want to live and have every right to do so. Who are we to take away their lives for any reason? Vegans do not use products tested on animals. We are very informed about which companies harm animals. We purchase only cruelty free vegan products. If a bear or a pig or any animal attacked me in an effort to kill me, then I would defend myself. Otherwise there is no good reason to take a life. Haven’t always been this way. Ate poultry and used any old product. Realized about 2 years ago the error of my ways. Would never turn back. Prefer to live a life of compassion and non violence. Check out the films Forks Over Knives and Earthlings. Most of us are unaware of how much pain and suffering we cause. If we canstop doing this, why not? I will say that hunting is the most compassionate way to kill an animal for meat. But it just isn’t necesary or fair to the animals.

• If only the people who are against hunting understood what they were talking about. The truth is this: In nearly every case, the animal that dies from a hunter’s bullet or arrow suffers less than the animal that dies in the teeth and claws of Mother Nature.

• In a vegan world there would be few animals, because most animals are either being raised for food or else supported by hunter’s money in tracts kept primative by law. In a vegan world, who would keep cattle or pigs or even horses for pets?
        The wild tracts typical of where this guy got his bruin are generally Wildlife Management units in Pennsylvania. These lands’ purchase and maintenance costs are generally paid for using hunter’s fees and taxes on hunter’s gear.

• Nnov says:

For all the anti meat eaters. First of all you can’t replace the proteins your body needs without eating meats. Wild game is a much leaner and healthier alternative to eating processed meats.
    I do not bear hunt but congrats for Dan on taking a beautiful bear.

• John W says:

Excellent. Congratulations on a fine bear. Bear hunting in Pennsylvania is a tough hunt. You can’t use bait or even scent. You can’t use dogs as well. Getting a bear in Pennsylvania is a real accomplishment. I will admit to being a tad envious.

• Grew up in PA says:

Nice bear. To all of the people crying about the kill..I grew up in North Eastern PA until I joined the military and left in 1992. I spent nearly every day in the woods with a gun and camera. Bear were unheard of in the area until I saw ONE driving to work at the age of 16. Never saw one again. And as I said, I spent nearly every day in the woods. Now during my infrequent visits to where I grew up, I’m hearing about bears all over those same areas that I spent my days. Soooo..relax. They’ve grown in numbers and have made it to the northern most part of PA. And..for those of you with the ‘we all should be vegans’ opinion. What to do with that opinion? Bend over, I’ll show you. Ok seriously, keep your opinion and I’ll keep mine. Feel free to go vegan in your house, as for mine we will serve meat. I’m a man, yup just checked. Still got my balls. I LIKE meat.

• Rebecca says:

Anyway, eating animals is also horrible for the environment and our health. Look up the environmemental impact of meat. Even the Unted Nations recommends that we all switch to a vegetarian diet due to the environmental impact. Look up the China study and other studies which all show that animal products have a horrible effect on our bodies. This is all without considering cruelty to sentient creatures! We have all been brainwashed into eating meat.

• jennifer says:

A vegetarian diet is the best. Why do asians live so long?? Not from eating bear…….

• Beauford T says:

I’m assuming you’re talking about the Japanese diet. It’s rich in soybean and fish. Japan has the highest life expectancy for women at 86 and the highest overall average life expectancy. If you’ve ever been to Japan, you’d quickly learn that this is not a vegetarian or vegan diet.

• Rebecca says:

Thomas. Might does not make right. And scientific evidence shows that we are herbivores. We choose to be omnivores. It isn’t our choice tomake as we are infringing upon the right to life for the beings we eat. No nutritional need to do so. Selfish and cruel. Completely unesescary.

• Brian says:

What are you talking about! Why do we have canine teeth then for tearing meat then? WOW….that is all I am going to say WOW!

• Beauford T says:

Science shows that we are descended from hunter gatherer societies. Our ancestors followed heards until we discovered agriculture.

• Rebecca says:

This is accurate. It is also accurate that meat was rare. Their diets consisted mainly of what plant foods they could gather. Which is why the women who gathered the food enjoyed a higher status than when we became agriculturalists. Nevertheless, biologically our bodies are built more like the bodies of herbivores. Animal products contribute to world hunger, environmental destruction, and animal suffering. We don’ t need meat. So why eat it?

• Rebecca — apparently you don’t realize you’re supporting the idea of killing and eating wild game. You may have an argument if you’re talking about modern diets produced by modern agribusiness and modern agricultural practices, but killing and eating wild game is something different. Modern man eats little wild game, and the harvest of wild game does not involve the kinds of things you’re criticizing. So you should oppose what farmers are doing and hold up hunters as poster boys for healthy diets of locally grown renewable resources!

• Also, when you talk about habitat destruction you apparently don’t know that an overabundance of wild animals is one of the biggest threats to habitat. In many places in America, whitetail deer are destroying their habitat and that of the other animals they share it with. Also in America wild pigs are destroying habitat of other mammals, and of countless ground nesting birds. Cats have become the pet of choice, but they’re the biggest threat out there to songbirds. In Africa, elephants have been put off limits to hunters, and in some places they have outgrown the carrying capacity of the land, destroying their own habitat much faster than it can recover.

The truth is that man is part of the ecosystem, and man is the only predator capable of managing his harvest for sustainable yield. Since man made himself accountable with regulated hunting, not a single hunted species has been threatened and every hunted species is thriving — so are the species that share their habitat.

• Rebecca says:

How do vegans kill animals Thomas? Murder is murder you can try to justify it as population controll all you want. Doesn’t change this fact. In fact some studies have found that hunting only increases breeding and thus the population.

• Murder? Not murder! These animals have no souls! They are not some-ones! Their welfare is best attained when they are viewed and managed as herds, groups, whatever the term fitted to the species happens to be. We, you, I, the hunters and the vegans are humans, We have souls! We can only be looked upon and ‘managed’ as individuals. In the lowest terms, this guy nailed a huge bear, but black bears are everywhere. They are a dime a dozen. I bet there are bigger ones out there.
      We had to have the cops out to my house because one huge sow wouldn’t leave the front yard. She ran away, but started hanging out down where the school bus stops. They tranquilized her and threw her into the woods. Who knows what will happe to her?
      I would never take a bear around here because, since all they eat is garbage, they taste like garbage. Out there in the deep woods, I am sure your hunter adversaries could describe whether the meat is worthwhile.

• Rebecca says:

Nobody has a soul. That is BS. Prove it. We die. We rot the end. No wonder it is ok with you to kill animals. You see them as less than and you probably think some fictional sky daddy gives you the right to use them as you wish.

• williep says:

message to the vegan….my food poops on your food

• SJ Cuciti says:

I’m not against hunting per se, but I feel this amazing specimen should have been left alive.

• Thomas barr says:

You anti hunters & tree huggers make me sick! You simply pay someone else to do your killing for you. Whether you are a vegan or not, you still kill animals ! Period… We are carnivores & top of the food chain. Game management is a must & wild game is not only tasty but sustains many many needy families. Get a life and pick a new cause to harass.

• eric says:

you are beyond dumb my friend! If you only knew how many pesticides and hunters are killing animals/pests to increase the farmers crop you eat you may be shocked! Stick to your vegan ways and eat your tofu…and have fun with breast cancer!

• Wnep1 says:

Its too bad we didn’t have human season, because I’m sure this guy would like to see you strung up too Corey. I know I would. And to all of you talking badly about hunters, I invite you to live out in the country and see your dogs attacked by all different types of animals. Actually that’s what all you vegans and tree huggers should do, go live in the woods and live with themand see how “peaceful” some of this wildlife is.
    Great job with this kill. One less bear that will be in my backyard causing problems for me and mine!

• Jayson Stonehouse says:

I hate the people to talk about hunting as if it were murder ..
    As if they wouldn’t smash in a mosquito that was biting them .
    The fact is they don’t stop to think about how many “more” people each year would die in automobile accident because the deer population is too high and they keep crossing the highways . . Hunting is just population control ..

• Dennis U says:

Your the MAN!! Congrats!

• JL says:

The word kill is misrepresented. Consider this the Harvest of a great trophy for a fortunate hunter. The harvest of any crop or animal is never a certainty but when it happens it is always a blessing. This is a once in a lifetime harvest so hopefully you can memorialize it with a full mount. Congrats!

• jim golden says:

ANOTHER SENSELESS KILLING !!!!!!!!

• Randy says:

Lol I think Danny jr still is larger by a few pounds!

• Jim says:

Congratulations on an awesome bear. That bear may be bigger than Danny!!!

• Kyler r says:

Hey Corey you got some cable and I can string you up to

• kerry says:

Big, beautiful,Black bear. yes it is a shame such a magnificant creature was shot. But on the other hand, congradulations! That is a bear of many life times. and can you imagine what that would do to a Honda civic and how many fawns and pets that thing has eaten,:maybe?

• Lois Topper says:

Hunting is a time-honored tradition in Pennsylvania, the skills of which have been passed down through countless generations, and have bonded families and friends tightly together ever since this land was settled hundreds of years ago. It has put good, nutritious preservative-free meat on many tables, provided wonderful outdoor adventure, exercise and education to thousands, and bolstered the Pennsylvania economy through good times and bad.

Hunters provide a valuable service in helping to control the wildlife population, thereby reducing the chance of someone’s beloved pet or (Heaven forbid!) loved one being seriously injured or worse in accidental confrontation with an aggressive predator.

My husband and I have hunted bear for 9 years now, and have only ever shot one bear. Clearly, in the woods, the wildlife has the advantage.

So, to all those mighty hunters that the Great I AM blessed with harvesting a black bear, I say, Wahoo! Rock on! o

PS….although there are exceptions to every rule, the hunters I know, all strive to leave the woods as pristine and undisturbed as possible. After all, we all know that nothing blows your cover faster than human scent and residue!

• Proud Bearhunter says:

These people complaining about the killing of this bear are the same people who will eat a turkey tomorrow for Thanksgiving, eat chicken, eat pork bacon and ham from a pig, and eat steaks and hamburger from a cow and so on. No complaints about slaughtering turkeys, chickens, pigs or cows though. Hypocrites!!!!!!

• Kole says:

Just heard the live talk on television. Unfortunately, it was not in support of this lucky hunter. Although one could understand feeling sympathy for such an amazing animal, the people who called in are clearly uneducated in this field and are speaking out of emotion, not reason. Before calling to bash this hunter, I would dare anybody to do their research on wildlife management. Look up the side-effects of overpopulation, which include disease and starvation of wildlife. Hunters help manage to prevent this from happening. Hunters are often looked at like a bunch of rednecks and hillbillies, when in reality, the vast majority are conservationists who care more about the animals they hunt than most non-hunters could understand. Also, the revenue generated by hunting licenses and hunter-donations make up the largest portion of money put into buying and maintaining forested land and research that will ensure these species have a long and healthy future. Great job on this awesome bear, and congratulations!

• jim golden says:

OVER POPULATION , I HEARD ONE GUY SAY HE HAS GONE HUNTING FOR YEARS AND GOT ONE, THE LOSS OF BEARS EVERY YEAR WILL JUST BRING US TO A CONCLUSION THAT THE DEERS AND BEARS ARE ON A DOWNFALL AND WILL BE IN THE DANGER ZONE.

• Chris says:

Clearly you have never stepped foot in the woods to hunt! You do realize you can hunt bear all of your life and never shoot one! There are plenty of bears here in PA, however, unlike just about every other state, you cannot bait them in PA. Unless you have one perfectly patterned and harvest one from your treestand, bear hunting in PA is some of the toughest, nastiest, stuff you will do. Laurel that you can hardly crawl through needs to be pushed, thick and rocky areas of mountains, and just the thickest, nastiest cover available is where they will be. There are not all that many bear hunters like deer hunters, so you will not have to worry about the population diminishing. Heck, you can walk by a lot of bears and they will stay bedded in thick cover and you never know you passed them.

Before you and every other tree hugger here says such idiotic things, do a little research. Say there was no bear season at all, I bet you would be the first to cry when you have a problem bear tearing apart your garbage every night, or you know he’s around and are afraid to step outside at night. If you ever go for a walk in the woods, look around and take in the beauty of nature. Make sure you thank God for such a beautiful environment, and thank hunters that there are not animals struggling to stay alive due to overpopulation and disease!

• jennifer says:

Some people kill animals just for the fun of it. Maybe in his next life he will be a bear, a hunted bear…

• ME says:

Well, some of the bears I saw on TV, were little more than 100-200 lbs., just babies. No chance of growing up and starving there, huh? You hit the nail on the head when you talked about the money generated for PA. Machisimo and money are the most prevalent factors in hunters. All the other bull about population control and such, are just that—Bull!

• It is unfortunate to hear values rather than facts being featured on TV. Gee! Who’da known?
      I heard James Carvell onec refer to Pennsylvania as this place wth Philadelphia at one end, Pittsburgh at the other with nothing but Arkansas in between. I hope none of you country boy types forget this characterization when it counts. Say, the first Tuesday after the first Monday?

• Dillon says:

Congrats on the amazing bear! To the ignorant people saying that the killing of this animal is wrong, you obviously know nothing about hunting. This country, this world in fact, was founded on hunting. It’s how people survived and got us to where we are today and to all the people that still hunt to provide for their families, just as this person is doing here, more power to you!

Good luck next week hunters!

• Tom Kostiw says:

You might want to try our family’s dry rub called Babunya’s Gourmet Spice. Lady on the bottle is my mom. Google the website. We are from NE PA

• Franz says:

That is a nice bear! Great job on killing something for no reason whatsoever!

• Franz, you may be ignorant of the reason for killing bears, but you can’t be ignorant of the fact that bears reproduce — and they do it very well in Pennsylvania.

Black bears are the largest predator in Pennsylvania. The fall harvest of bears needs to be sufficient to offset the birth rate in the spring. If sufficient numbers are not killed, they will not only overpopulate the habitat; they will also have more and more conflict with people at campgrounds, restaurants, back yards, roadways, and many other places. That is not good for people, or for bears.

Black bears in Pennsylvania are among the healthiest populations of bears anywhere on the continent. That couldn’t be possible without hunting them, and without the funding hunting provides. The truth is that if it were not for hunters America would have very little wildlife, and it would only be accessible to wealthy people.

Pennsylvania has the best bear management program anywhere, and that would not be true without hunting.

• KEVIN S REPSHER says:

congradulations,thats a bear of a lifetime ! Thank you for using good hunting ethics in bagging this great bear,,unlike mr.price in 2010,,who shot a old mans pet in bushkill ,pa.!!!! WE REMEMBER BOZO EVERY YEAR !!

• Proud Bearhunter says:

“No Reason” – Another clueless person.

• Kyler r says:

Let me guess you don’t hunt? So you wouldn’t know this needed killed. It’s so big that if it needed food bad enough it could got right through a door and kill a whole family. Or it could cross the road in front of a family in a mini van and if they hit that bear I guarantee people would get killed. So you don’t know anything, it was killed for a reason, okay? Quit killing the guys amazing accomplishment! Great kill!

• michele says:

Congrats that’s a nice bear

• That’ll fill up a freezer and then some. Congrats!