Eight Dachshunds Feared Dead After Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEHMAN TOWNSHIP – People who live near a mobile home that caught on fire near Sweet Valley told Newswatch 16 that they fear eight dogs trapped inside did not escape the flames.

Firefighters believe that the fire that leveled the home on Stonehouse Lane was likely sparked by a wood burning stove.

People who know the homeowners told Newswatch 16 that they were holding out hope that some of the dachshunds may have survived, but they now fear that all eight dogs have died.

“I saw it on the news first thing this morning, It was heart wrenching. I actually did cry,” said Linda Royer. "I can`t even imagine. That`s why I don`t have them anymore dogs, because it hurts too much to lose them. They don`t live long enough to begin with.”

At the Red Rooster Restaurant on Route 118, Susan Baer said the news of the fire spread quickly through the tight-knit community.

“It makes me sick because the dogs can’t, you know, they don’t know how to get out. I was hoping they got out somehow,” said Baer.

Neighbors said that the couple that lives in the home is now staying with relatives in Luzerne County.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.