School Closings And Delays

State Police Investigation Into Deadly Bus Crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WHITE DEER TOWNSHIP -- Troopers are continuing to investigate the deadly bus crash that left one person dead, dozens injured, and Interstate 80 shut down for more than 12 hours.

Just before 2 a.m. Wednesday, troopers believe a Greyhound bus bound for Cleveland from New York, hit the back of a tractor-trailer hauling garbage.

It happened in the westbound lane of Interstate 80 between Lewisburg and Mile Run.

Westbound I-80 is back open.  It took more than 14 hours to investigate and clean up after that deadly crash.

Officials said 50 people were on board. The driver and others were badly hurt, and a woman thrown from the bus and killed.

The Greyhound bus was already well into its trip west from New York City when it happened. The bus slammed into the back of a moving tractor-trailer in the westbound lanes of Interstate 80 near Lewisburg.

Ambulances and LifeFlight helicopters rushed to the scene in Union County.  A woman was killed, and according to Greyhound officials, nearly all of the 49 passengers plus the driver were hurt and taken to area hospitals.

"One thing for sure, both vehicles were traveling westbound when the crash occurred and we're trying to gather information from witnesses," said Trooper Matt Burrows.

Once all the victims of the bus crash were gone, state police were able to start investigating what caused the deadly wreck.

With the help of sunlight and some eyes above, troopers had a big job on their hands. The man behind the wheel of that tractor-trailer told investigators he was going about 45 miles an hour when it happened.

"Just a big jolt from behind me. I pulled over to the shoulder, got out of my truck. There just a lot of screaming from the people on the bus, people Climbing out of the windows," said Akos Gubica, the driver of the truck.

It took pretty much all day for crews to clean up the crash and get the truck and the bus off the highway.

A group of people, hauling an oversized load, were forced to wait for hours and couldn't believe the sight of the bus crushed up against the truck.

By noon, another Greyhound bus was making rounds to area hospitals picking up passengers who were treated and released, set on taking them to finish the trip they started.

Questions remain such as how did the crash happen with a 12-year veteran bus driver behind the wheel? And how was a woman thrown from the bus along with the luggage that was on the interstate when everyone else stayed inside the bus?

The westbound lanes of Interstate 80 reopened around 4 p.m. and traffic is moving smoothly.

State police are continuing their investigation into the deadly bus crash and Greyhound officials would not comment on the investigation.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.