Body Found In Clinton County Home Hit By Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENE TOWNSHIP -- Firefighters responded Tuesday morning to a deadly house fire in Clinton County.

Neighbors said shortly before the deadly fire the victim was seen picking walnuts.

David Mark, who was in his late 60's, lived the simple life on his family farm near Loganton, added neighbors.

Fire destroyed Mark's home Tuesday morning, trapping him inside. It wasn't until the fire was out that fire crews were able to confirm that he was inside.

Heavy smoke was pouring from this home along East Winter Road near Loganton while firefighters worked to get the upper hand.

Bystanders could only watch as the fire kept rescuers from getting inside to see if anyone was trapped.

Fire officials said the flames started in the back of the home in the kitchen but there was so much clutter inside it made it hard for firefighters.

"The inside's packed waist-high with stuff, he kept everything he ever had I think," said Sugar Valley Volunteer Deputy Fire Chief Dennis Long.

When neighbors first noticed smoke pouring from Mark's home, they rushed to the door to see if he was home and found signs that he might be. The question lingered for hours if he was inside or was safe somewhere else.

"Somebody could have come along and taken him somewhere but he said the keys were in the door and it don't sound good," said neighbor Randy Renninger.

Mark's truck was also parked at the home. When the fire was out, Renninger's fears were confirmed. Mark's body was found inside the kitchen. A state police fire marshal was on scene to investigate.

Renninger said Mark would spend his days cutting wood and tinkering with vehicles.

"Lived by himself, never married, was in the military, worked a lot of jobs at aviation plants. Never spent anymore than he had to," added Renninger.

Investigators said the fire is not suspicious.

Fire officials said Mark had both an electric heater and a wood stove in the kitchen to heat his home which could have contributed to the deadly fire.