Fall Foods That Won’t Make You Fat
1 ea. Granny smith apple
1 ea. Honeycrisp apple
1 ea. Gala apple
Caramel sc. – 4 tbsp
Granola – kashi works great – ½ cup
Unsweetened coconut flakes – 2 tbsp
Water – 4 cups
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
· using an apple corer, carefully remove core of apple and dispose
· combine water and lemon juice in a bowl
· place the cored out apples into water with lemon juice to stop the apples from browning
· using a sharp chefs/kitchen knife, carefully slice apples into 1/8” round slices and place on a plate. Lightly dredge a paper towel into the water and wring out excess water. Drape the towel over the apples so they do not tun brown (a.k.a. oxidize) until l you are ready to build your apple nachos
· select you’re favorite serving vessel, platter, or plate and start to shingle apples in a circular pattern onto platter while building them up.
· using your preferred caramel sc, drizzle the caramel sc. Over the apples in your desired pattern.
· lightly sprinkle the granola atop the apples and finish with coconut shaving.
Butternut squash hash w/ turkey bacon
1 ea. Large butternut squash
1 # parsnips
¼ bulb celery root
1 large vidallia onion
1 ea. Green bell pepper
1 ea. Red bell pepper
5 strips turkey bacon – cut into thin strips
Chopped garlic- 2 tbsp.
Fresh chopped parsley- 3 tbsp
Fresh sage – 1 to 2 tbsp
Diluted orange juice – ¼ cup
Curry powder – 1 tbsp.
Cayene pepper – 1/4 tsp.
Kosher salt & pepper
· carefully peel and dice the butternut squash into ¼” to ½” dice and set aside
· peel parsnips just like you would a carrot and cut into small rounds ¼” to ½”
· carefully peel/remove the rough skin from the outside of the celery root and using the ¼ of the bulb, cut into ¼” to ½” dice
· cut the onion into ½” dice and set aside
· remove the core & seeds from inside the peppers and cut into ¼” to ½” dice and set aside
· using a large saute pan, preheat to medium heat
· add olive oil, garlic, turkey bacon & sage and let cook for 3 to 4 minutes. You just want to start and get a very light golden brown color. Lightly season with salt & pepper then add the onions, peppers, squash, parsnips & celery root
· stir to ensure all vegetables are coated with the olive oil and seasonings that are already in pan.
· turn heat up to medium high and start the pan frying process. It is important that the heat is not left too high otherwise the product will burn/stick to the bottom of pan. Ensure to stir every few minutes
· about ½ way through the cooking add the diluted orange juice, curry powder cayenne, and chopped parsley and cover to get a steaming effect and let cook for another 8 -10 minutes.
· once all vegetables are al dente (fork tender) remove lid and let pan fry for approx 5 more minutes.
· taste and adjust seasoning with salt & pepper