Fire Rips Through Container Company

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BRIAR CREEK TOWNSHIP -- Fire crews responded to a blaze at the Consolidated Container Company near Berwick Wednesday night.

The company makes containers for milk, detergent and other products.

An employee with the company said the fire started around 6:30 p.m., after a mechanic had been working on a machine.

That worker told Newswatch 16 several people inside heard an explosion before seeing the flames.

She said everyone in the building was evacuated safely.

Dozens of firefighters from several municipalities responded.

Crowds of people gathered to watch as smoke and flames poured from the structure.

A state police fire marshal determined the fire was caused by an electrical problem.

There is no word when the place might reopen.