Two Dead in Susquehanna County Plane Crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HARFORD TOWNSHIP-- A plane missing since Labor Day was found Sunday morning, crashed in a field on Bartholomew Road.

While officials say the plane departed from Ohio Monday, and stopped for refueling near Williamsport, neighbors say the search only began after the plane's owners, a local pilot and his wife missed a meeting with a friend on Thursday.

While the Susquehanna County coroner could not confirm the identities of the people on board, friends and neighbors say local pilots Tom and Elaine Huf have been missing since their plane disappeared.

Neighbor Henry Blanco-White says, "They have been missing for several days, you have to assume the news isn't going to be good when we get it."

The pair was well know for their passion for aviation and traveled to air shows around America in their vintage twin engine Cessna T-50.

The plane was a familiar sight in their Harford Township neighborhood, and the pair lived next to a private air strip and hangar on Route 547.

The woman who owns the property where the plane went down believes she heard the crash.

"I heard an airplane overhead and the plane didn't sound right to me," says Barbara Sloat."It sounded like it was hovering, it went on for 3 or 4 minutes but it sounded like forever, then I didn't hear it anymore."

Sloat says on Tuesday she told a family member about the disturbing sounds, but at that time nobody knew the plane was missing.

Friday the Pennsylvania Civil Air Patrol began searching from the sky, trying to locate the plane's beacon. Then on Saturday crews began looking around the hills in southeastern Susquehanna County. On Sunday they came to Sloat's property.

"I told them it sounded like it went up on my hill, and that's where they went and that's where they found them."

Searchers on ATVs found the wreckage of the plane and the two bodies inside Sunday around 10:30 AM.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation, but investigators say there were thunderstorms reported in the area Monday evening. The investigation will now be turned over to the FAA/NTSB.