Dogs Rescued, Home Ruined By Blaze

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NANTICOKE -- Two dogs were rescued and four people lost their home in a fire Tuesday morning in Luzerne County.

The alarm in the 100 block of West Broad Street came in around 9 a.m.

Firefighters battled bright orange flame and heavy smoke shooting from the attic.  Police say the Delos Santos lived in the home, a couple and their two high school-aged daughters.  No one was home when the fire started, but family members arrived shortly after.  They could do nothing as flames consumed their home.

We spoke with the woman who lives next door and the Nanticoke police officer who helped get two dogs out of the burning home.

"We just went in and tried to make sure the fire department could do their job," said Patrolman Joe Kosch of the Nanticoke Police. "Two dogs were inside and we got them out."

"I heard the sirens and then the police knocked on the door and they told me there was a fire next door and told me I had to get out, so I grabbed my dog and got out," said Roseanne Dennis.

Firefighters managed to keep the flames from spreading to adjacent homes.

Units from Ashley, Hanover Township, and Newport Township were also on the scene.

One firefighter suffered a cut finger, according to the chief and he'll be OK.

A state police fire marshal will investigate.