POTTSVILLE -- Four men from Schuylkill County are being called heroes. Officials say they're responsible for pulling victims out of a smoke-filled apartment Sunday night, an apartment that had barely any oxygen left.
Now, their bravery is being rewarded.
Looking at the outside of the apartment building on Mahantongo Street in Pottsville you'd never realize that fire chief says two people could have died in a fire, but a grease fire on a stove did some damage. Two people lived there and were sleeping at the time.
"The fire just ran out of oxygen and went out but people laying down sleeping, reduced oxygen in the air and carbon monoxide, it just put them out," said Chief Todd March of the Pottsville Fire Department.
Tyler Brake said he is uncomfortable being called a hero. Tyler and a neighbor were the first through the door to save the unconscious couple. 2 off-duty city firefighters also helped.
"I felt the door (with) the back of my hand and it was a little warm and I took my shirt off and put it around the door handle and just saw them laying there and pulled them to safety," Brake recalled. "There was a lot of smoke. I couldn't see my hand six inches in front of my face. I couldn't even see it."
"I am really proud of him. If it wasn't for him, it could have been a lot worse," said Megan Walters.
The actions of Tyler Brake and three others are spreading on social media websites. That's why they expect a good turnout at city hall Monday when city leaders recognize the heroic action of the four men.