Residents Lose Everything in Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEHIGHTON -- Firefighters were met with a ball of flames when they rolled up to the scene in Carbon County.

The blaze wrecked a double block home on Ochre Street in Lehighton Tuesday night.

Officials suspect an electrical problems sparked it.

Neighbor Barbara Walck said she watched emergency crews fight the flames.

"It’s just devastating! If it were my house I wouldn't know what to do. I think the families were just in shock."

Sharen Ace looks at what the fire did to her car. A cracked windshield and the covering of a headlight melted. Sharen was home at the time of the blaze and says she's lucky to be alive.

"If you don't laugh, you cry and I choose laughter. The angels were with me."

Derrick Flexer explained  his wife and 6-month-old daughter were not at home when the fire began.

"I came over the hill and saw my house on fire. The first thing that went through my mind was get the dogs out. It was just shocking, there was nothing else I could do, just watch my stuff burn."  Flexer said.

The fire victims were helped by neighbors including Tim Laybourn.

"We kicked in the front door and we yelled around and the dogs were right there and we pulled them out." Layourn said.

All the fire victims including Sharen Ace are staying with family.

"Decisions have been made for me as to what to keep, I know I had to start sorting things because I am getting older. I didn't want my children to go through a whole lot of things ." Ace said.

Derrick Flexer said his family lost everything but is glad he, his wife, and baby weren't at home at the time of the fire.

"We have each other and that’s all that matters and rebuild and move on."

A fire fund has been set up for some of the fire victims. Checks can be made out to the Flexer fire fund and dropped off at any Wells Fargo bank.