One Person Dead After a Fire in Luzerne County

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LARKSVILLE -- One person is dead, and another is in the hospital, after an early morning fire in Luzerne County on Sunday.

Officials said the flames started just before 2 a.m. on Murray Street in Larksville, and did not initially appear to be suspicious.

On Monday, the state police fire marshal ruled the fire accidental, caused by an electrical malfunction.

Neighbors say that John Gosciewski desperately tried to rescue his disabled wife, Florence, from the house but the fire was just too intense.

Stevin Zeske lives next door.

"I tried to go up on the porch, and I tried to go in by the door. It was too late the flames came out." He adds,"I pulled him down off the porch, he was crying and wanted to go back in and save her and I said you can't.You are going to die and so am I. My kids are on the porch watching and they don't need to lose their father," Zeske said.

The flames even jumped to Zeske's own home which moments before was full of kids and grandkids, but fire fighters were able to use their hoses to save the house.

Sunday morning you could see how the harsh heat melted siding and insulation.

Neighbors say John and Florence were fairly private. However, the pair was well known at the Swoyersville American Legion where John held his 70th birthday party in January.

Gosciewski was taken by helicopter to a burn unit, for injuries to his hands and arms, according to neighbors.